Part of the City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival
Saturday, February 3: 1:30pm (tentative time)
The 5K Ski Loppet is open to skiers of all ages and abilities. Whether this is your first year skiing or your eighty-first year in the sport, this event is for you!
Families or new skiers get to enjoy the excitement of being on the amazing Theo Wirth Park ski trails in a non-competitive outing. While more advanced or high school skiers putting a bow on their seasons can ski off the front to push their limits. This is the perfect event to just be a part of the excitement, enjoy the beautiful trails, and cross the finish line with big smiles. Cowbell for everyone!
This event is freestyle technique, meaning you can classic or skate ski the course. While there are prizes for the winners, fun and community rule the 5K!
Younger skiers looking for shorter course options should check out the Next Generation Loppet, which has 3K, 2K, and 1K options.
The Start and Finish
Start and Finish Location: The 5K Fun Ski starts and finishes at The Trailhead, Theodore Wirth Park, 1221 Theodore Wirth Pkwy, Minneapolis MN 55422
Parking and Transportation: Please see notes below.
- For your convenience: PARTICIPANT GUIDE 2023
- We are using RunnerTag for photos! You can look up your race number to see if we caught any pictures of you. We can’t make promises but we do try to get everyone!
- Registration opens Sunday, October 1!
Registration & Packet Pickup
|Status||Starting 9AM, 10/1/23||Starting 11/19/23||Starting 12/17/23||Starting 1/14/24/small>||Starting 1/31/24/small>||Registration Deadline|
|5K Loppet||Open||$32||$32||$38||$48||$65||12pm noon, 1/31/24|
|5K Loppet - Youth (16 and under)||Open||$22||$22||$22||$25||$35||12pm noon, 1/31/24|
Proceeds from the 5K Ski Loppet benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
If you wish to change events (e.g. changing race distance), please follow these instructions: RunSignup Event Transfer Instructions.
Registration and transaction fees are nonrefundable, including in the event of cancellation. Registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person’s name will result in disqualification.
For other questions about registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Packets (bibs and other goodies) will be available for pickup at the following times and locations:
- Thursday, February 2: The Trailhead, 4pm-8pm
- Pick up your packet on Thursday and get a tootsie roll!
- Friday, February 3: to be announced
- Saturday, February 4: The Trailhead, 7am-3pm
For your reference: 2023 Sat Trailhead Races Google Map.
2024 course map to be shared soon!
The race courses will all be marked with arrows of a specific color (know your color before you start). For the timed races, there will be marshals at key intersections, but participants are responsible for staying on course. Please always heed course marshals as courses may have to be changed depending on conditions. In addition, listen to start line instructions for any course or marking changes.
- Your course arrow should match your bib color!
- 4pm-8pm: The Trailhead
- Pick up your packet on Thursday and get a tootsie roll!
- 4pm-8pm: to be announced
- 1:30pm: 5K Ski Loppet Begins
- 10:00am-3:00pm: Shuttle Bus runs between Mortenson Parking Lot and the Trailhead, leaving the Trailhead every 15 minutes on the quarter hour.
- 10:00am – 3:00pm: Utepils Beer Garden and Festival Village
- 10:00am – 4:00pm: Changing Tent Heated
- 10:30am – 4:00pm: The Trailhead Food Station
Parking and Transportation
Race Day Parking and Shuttle
- Mortenson Lot: Participant and spectator parking, walking distance to the festival. A shuttle bus will be running between Mortenson Parking Lot and the Trailhead from 10am-3pm, leaving the Trailhead every 15 minutes on the quarter hour.
- Participant and spectator parking available on street in nearby neighborhoods.
- Trailhead Area Map. To give you an idea of the Festival Village layout.
- Chalet Lot Drop Off Zone: Shows the location in the Chalet Lot where dropoffs and pickups at the Trailhead will be allowed (if you are not using the special skijor parking permits). Dropoff/Pickup is not available at the Trailhead.
Thursday Packet Pickup Parking
- Trailhead Small North Lot: Closed (venue), Dropoffs/Pickups allowed (no parking)
- Trailhead Large South Lot: Open but may be limited.
- Chalet Lot: Open but may be limited.
Friday Packet Pickup Parking
- To be announced
- Make note of these for getting around race morning. Be sure to let your spectator fans know as well.
- Theodore Wirth Pkwy from Hwy 55 to Plymouth Ave: Closed Saturday (7am-2:30), Sunday (8am-12pm)
- Glenwood Ave from Xerxes to Theodore Wirth Pkwy: Closed Saturday (7am-1pm), Sunday (7am-2pm)
- Theodore Wirth Pkwy from N Wayzata Blvd to Glenwood: Closed Saturday (8am-2pm), Sunday (8am-12pm)
Drop off / pick up in Theodore Wirth Park
- Dropoffs and pickups will be allowed at the Chalet (1301 Theodore Wirth Pkwy). Please note that access to the Trailhead will be closed at Hwy 55. You will need to approach the Chalet via Plymouth Ave from the east or Golden Valley Rd from the north.
Festival Village and Post-Race Party
2024 Festival Village map coming soon
Refreshments! All skiers (that are of age) get one free beer (or alternative soda) at the finish at the Trailhead! A beer/drink ticket will be provided in your packet. Please have ID available. Additional beer may be purchased on site by participants or spectators.
Chili! For years, the Loppet has served Captain Ken’s Chili at the finish line. It is our goal to do that again in 2024. Just what a tired skier needs to start the recovery process! You will find the chili inside the Trailhead.
Sponsors! Our sponsors help make everything happen and better! Please visit and thank them for their support. We are sure you will have some fun with them, too!
Changing Tent: Right next to Bag Claim is a heated changing tent to get into dry clothes! We recommend including walking shoes in your bag if you are meeting a pickup at the Chalet or parked at Mortenson.
Race Bibs: In an effort to reduce the waste generated by thousands of bibs, the Loppet will collect all bibs at several post-race locations. We realize that some participants would like to keep their bib for their own personal “wall of fame” and that is OK. But if you are indifferent and know that it would sit on a corner shelf and eventually end up in the trash, please return your bib after the race.
- Bib Drop Locations: Finish line, bag claim and the Trailhead exit.
- And, yes, it also saves the Loppet significant expense which allows us to direct more finances toward our mission-based programs.
- We are hoping to reuse the vast majority of our Festival bibs to allow them to live out a full and active life. Thank you for helping us reduce waste and move toward greener events!
All participants in the 5K event will receive a finisher medal. Top 3 in the Male, Female and Non-Binary Overall categories will receive a handcrafted wood plaque. Podium ceremony will happen near the Finish Line right after the results are official. There will not be age group awards for the 5K (but look for glory or your proof of adventure in the results).
Results & Photos
2024 Results: Loppet Festival 2024
- 2023: Results will be posted here
- 2023 Photos: Loppet Festival 2023
- Search by name or bib number!