- 2024 Participant Guide
- NEW-1/31/24: Participant Email/Guide will be coming later this evening (Wed)
- We are using RunnerTag for photos! You can look up your race number to see if we caught any pictures of you. We can’t make promises but we do try to get everyone!
- Registration opens Sunday, October 1, 2023!
EVENT TIME: Saturday, February 3: 2:00pm (1K), 2:05pm (2K), 2:10pm (3K)
The Next Generation Loppet is designed to inspire the next generation of Loppet skiers by providing all the fun and excitement of the longer Loppet ski events in shorter distances perfect for youth or junior skiers newer to the sport.
Next Generation Loppet skiers will be able to choose from 3K, 2K, and 1K distances. New this year is a 500 meter cutoff option for the 1K skiers at the “Roundabout” if they need it (it avoids Jim’s Hill-not a big hill but enough to challenge some new skiers). Parents (no registration required) are welcome to join their 1K skiers on skis or foot-please just stay to the side or behind so other participants can easily pass). All distances are freestyle technique, meaning you can classic or skate ski the course.
The Open Loppet 5K is also a good option for skiers of any age looking for more of a challenge through a further distance and added competition.
The Start and Finish
Start and Finish Location: The Next Generation races start and finish at The Trailhead, Theodore Wirth Park, 1221 Theodore Wirth Pkwy, Minneapolis MN 55422
Parking and Transportation: Please see notes below with special parking arrangements for Next Generation participants.
Registration & Packet Pickup
|Starting 9AM, 10/1/23
|Next Generation Loppet (3K/2K/1K)
|12pm noon, 1/31/24
Proceeds from the Next Generation Loppet benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
If you wish to change events (e.g. changing race distance), please follow these instructions: RunSignup Event Transfer Instructions.
Registration and transaction fees are nonrefundable, including in the event of cancellation. Registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person’s name will result in disqualification.
For other questions about registration, please email email@example.com.
Packet Pick Up
Packets (bibs and other goodies) will be available for pickup at the following times and locations:
- Thursday, February 1: The Trailhead (1221 Theodore Wirth Pkwy), 4pm-8pm
- Pick up your packet on Thursday and get a tootsie roll!
- Friday, February 2: Utepils Brewing (225 Thomas Ave N, Minneapolis, MN), 4pm-8pm
- Pick up your packet on Friday and get a tootsie roll!
- Saturday, February 3: The Trailhead, 7am-3pm
For your reference: 2024 Sat Trailhead Races Google Map. You can select and deselect certain layers including your course and parking/road info. 2024 Course Map coming soon.
The courses are marked with colored arrows on sandwich boards located at trail junctions. Course marshals may also be present at critical junctions to guide and cheer you on. Know the color of arrow you should be following for your race (it is also always our goal to match your bib color with your arrow color – this also helps course marshals know which course you are doing).
- 4pm-8pm: The Trailhead
- Pick up your packet on Thursday and get a tootsie roll!
- 4pm-8pm: Utepils Brewing
- Packet Pickup: Get a tootsie roll!
- 7:00am – 3:00pm: Packet Pickup, The Trailhead
- 10:00am-3:00pm: Shuttle Bus runs between Mortenson Parking Lot and the Trailhead. Note: Next Generation participants receive special parking option (see below) but this might be a great option for spectators or if the lots at the Trailhead/Chalet are full).
- 2:00pm: Next Generation 1K Starts
- 2:05pm: Next Generation 2K Starts
- 2:10pm: Next Generation 3K Starts
- 10:00am – 2:00pm: Utepils Beer Garden and Festival Village
- 10:00am – 3:00pm: Changing Area in Trailhead locker rooms (showers not available)
- 10:30am – 4:00pm: The Trailhead Food Station
Transportation & Parking
Special Parking for Next Generation
- We will do our best to provide the closest parking possible for our young Next Generation participants and their families. Watch your email for permits to park in areas not available to other Festival participants.
- Saturday: Trailhead South Parking Lot or the Chalet Lot
- Note that access to the Trailhead will be closed at Hwy 55. You will need to approach the both the Chalet and Trailhead via Plymouth Ave from the east or Golden Valley Rd from the north.
- Watch your email. Permits will be emailed on the Thursday or Friday prior to Festival weekend.
- Please be respectful of your parking privileges and do not duplicate or share your parking permit with others. Your pass is intended for one vehicle only.
- You will need to print out your permit to show to the parking attendants- please have it ready on your dash before you get to the checkpoint. Do not plan to show it on your phone. It is too slow and hard to view for our parking volunteers who often have a line of cars to manage.
- Please note that spectators coming to Theodore Wirth Park should plan to park at the Mortenson Lots (700 Meadow Lane and 4100 Olson Memorial Highway, Golden Valley). They are welcome to use the Trailhead-Mortenson shuttle bus, 10am-3pm, that leaves the Trailhead every 15 minutes on the quarter hour.
Chalet Lot Drop Off Zone: Shows the location in the Chalet Lot (1301 Theodore Wirth Pkwy) where dropoffs and pickups will be allowed (if you are not using the special Next Generation parking permits).
- Dropoff/Pickup is not available at the Trailhead.
- Please note that access to the Trailhead/Chalet area will be closed at Hwy 55. You will need to approach the Chalet via Plymouth Ave from the east or Golden Valley Rd from the north.
Make note of these for getting around race morning. Be sure to let your spectator fans know as well.
- Glenwood Ave from Xerxes to Theodore Wirth Pkwy: Saturday (7am-1pm), Sunday (7am-2pm)
- Theodore Wirth Pkwy from N Wayzata Blvd to Glenwood: Saturday (7am-1pm), Sunday (7am-2pm)
- Theodore Wirth Pkwy from Hwy 55 to Plymouth Ave: Saturday (8am-2:30), Sunday (8am-12pm)
Festival Village and Post-Race Party
2024 Festival Village map coming soon!
Chili! For years, the Loppet has served Captain Ken’s Chili at the finish line. It is our goal to do that again in 2024. Just what a tired skier needs to start the recovery process!
Sponsors! Our sponsors help make everything happen and better! Please visit and thank them for their support. We are sure you will have some fun with them, too!
Indoor Changing Area – Trailhead locker rooms. Showers not available.
Race Bibs: In an effort to reduce the waste generated by thousands of bibs, the Loppet will collect all bibs at the finish. We wash and reuse the bibs from year to year. Please return your bib after the race. Thank you for helping us reduce waste and move toward greener events!
Commemorative medals for all Next Generation finishers!
Results & Photos
Race results can be found at mtecresults.com
2024 Results: Loppet Festival 2024
2024 Photos: Festival Photos 2024
- Search by name or bib number!