Two NiceRide bike share station are available from mid-March – October/November in Theodore Wirth Park. One is located near to The Trailhead building along Theodore Wirth Parkway next to the west entrance of The Trailhead North parking lot. The other is located next to the Wirth Beach parking lot.
The Trailhead building is easily accessible from the Luce Line State Trail which spans over 60 miles west from Theodore Wirth Park. The Trailhead also sits on the 51-mile paved Grand Rounds Scenic Byway, which connects the Chain of Lakes, Mississippi River, Minnehaha Falls, and downtown Minneapolis riverfront to Theodore Wirth Park, North Minneapolis, and Northeast Minneapolis.
The Metro Transit bus stops at The Trailhead building (Stop ID: 56977) and Plymouth Ave & Theodore Wirth Pkwy (Stop ID: 56978) when traveling on Route 7.
If you are driving to the park, plan ahead if you will be using the trails during peak hours in the early mornings/evenings and weekends, and be sure to arrive with plenty of time to park and walk.
Parking is available for free in the following lots (Please refer to the complete Loppet parking map for exact locations of lots):
- The Trailhead North and South Lots. These lots are in front of The Trailhead and provide the closest access to Mill Valley Market and The Trailhead, which also means they are usually the first to fill. There is easy access from here to the Loppet-maintained multi-use, singletrack trails; the MORC-maintained multi-use, singletrack trails in North Theodore Wirth Park; the paved Luce Line trail; and the paved trail along the parkway.
- The Chalet Lot. This lot is in front of the Chalet and it provides easy access to both the Loppet-maintained multi-use, singletrack trails – along with easy access to the paved trails along the creek and the parkway.
- Wirth Beach Lots. There are three parking lots here, all with immediate access to the hiking and running trails in south Theodore Wirth Park – including the Eloise Butler Wildflower garden. This lot is also a short distance from the MORC-maintained multi-use, singletrack trails along the south part of Theodore Wirth Parkway.
- Mortenson Lot: Access this lot from Hwy 55, by turning north on Meadow Ln just one block west of Theodore Wirth Pkwy. It is about a 5-10 minute walk by trail to the MORC-maintained multi-use, singletrack trails in North Theodore Wirth Park off the Luce Line – or a 400m walk the other direction to the SE intersection of Hwy 55 and Theodore Wirth Pkwy where you can access the hiking/running trails in south Theodore Wirth Park and the MORC-maintained multi-use, singletrack trails along the south part of Theodore Wirth Parkway. This lot is only available on weekends and after 5pm on weekdays. Please do not park in any Reserved or labelled parking spots.
There will be three large construction projects during 2021, listed below, which will effect driving routes to and from Theodore Wirth Park.
- Schedule: Beginning May – Beginning July 2021
- Plymouth Ave to 14th Ave
- Full Closure
- Detour: Olson Memorial, Lyndale, W Broadway Ave
- Xerxes to Penn Ave
- Schedule End of May – Mid Nov 2021
- Full Closure
- When Penn Ave is closed: Olson Memorial, Lyndale, W Broadway, Golden Valley Rd
- When Penn Ave reopens: Olson Memorial, Penn, Golden Valley Rd
Theo Wirth Parkway
- July – September (tentative timeline)
- Full Closure