The goal of the LNR Competition Team is to prepare athletes ages 16-19 to compete at a national and international level. Training is based on a year round model, starting in the beginning of April. Comp team athletes have decided that skiing is their primary sport and are committed to attending training 4-6 times a week, keeping a training log, attending camps, and competing at the regional CXC junior cup races. There is room for comp team athletes to participate in another sport or program but that sport should complement the year round skiing training and racing model.
Annual Cost & Registration
The annual year round cost of the LNR Competition Team is $4,400. Although the fees are substantial, they include four out of town training camps, spring, summer, fall and winter training sessions, as well as training plans, lactate testing, and race support.The team fee can be paid in full or paid in installments of $1,100.
All interested athletes need to inquire with Comp Team Head Coach Chris Harvey, firstname.lastname@example.org, if they are eligible for Comp Team training and training camps.
Scholarships available on a need based from the Loppet Foundation. Please contact Coach Bednarski for more information at email@example.com.
2021 LNR Juniors Comp Team
2021 Spring/Summer Programs and Camps
2021 Fall/Winter Programs and Camps
Proceeds from the Loppet Nordic Racing Programs benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Year Round Competition Team Includes:
- Training program running from April 2021 – March 2022.
- June Camp in Ironwood MI, July Camp in Frisco CO, MEA Camp in Cable WI and Thanksgiving On Snow Training Camp Location TBD
- Year round training plan, time trials and field testing, lactate profiles
- 3-7 organized training sessions per week unless otherwise noted
LNR Spring and Summer Training Goals
- To keep training varied, challenging, and having the opportunity to explore new places
- To make sure training in spring and summer is focused on making you a better all around athlete: coordination, speed, and running/movement mechanics
- To make sure that the environment at LNR is one that stresses being a good person, not just a good athlete. We will focus on working well in a group and members are expected to participate in a number of volunteer projects throughout the year.
2021 Comp Team Spring Training
Starting April 12th runs 8 weeks through June 4th.
Mondays 3pm-6:00pm at The Trailhead. Running mechanics, games, strength in weight room
Tuesdays 3:30pm @ The Trailhead. Road bike or MTB . starting with approx 90 min, but will generally be 2:00-2:30hr rides. **note that Tuesday workouts won’t start till April 21st**
Wednesdays 4pm @ The Trailhead. Running – mix of distance and intensity workouts.
Thursdays 3pm-6:00pm at The Trailhead. Running mechanics, games, strength in weight room
Friday – Sunday – no organized practice but recommended training to complete on your own.
2021 Comp Team Summer Schedule
starts June 21st runs 8 weeks through August 13th. Comp team will have a light training schedule 4th of July 4th week and team members not going on the Colorado camp will practice with Devo team at the end of July.
Monday 8am Hyland Park, Rollerski
Tuesday 8am Town of Afton or French Park, Rollerski Intensity
Tuesday 3pm The Trailhead, strength
Wednesday 8am The Trailhead, Rollerski or Running distance
Thursday 8am various locations (on low volume we wil will NOT meet Thursday AM)
Thursday 4pm The Trailhead, foot and strength
Friday 8am Hyland Park, on foot intensity
Weekends – recommended training, we do not meet on weekends in the summer
- Watch (with stopwatch function)
- Heart rate monitor
- Classic and skate rollerskis
- road bike/bike shoes
- Optional equipment: mountain bike
Spring, Summer, Fall and Camp Options
Athletes may choose to enroll by season rather than the YEAR ROUND option: note that all Competition Team sessions registration require prior approval by LNR coaching staff. We need to make sure that each level has an appropriate background for the amount and difficulty of the training. This is especially important for the Training Camp registrations- please do not register for summer training camps without prior approval of LNR coaching staff.
Note that Comp Team Athletes may attend a Development Team Camp
- June Camp – June 14th – 19th – Ironwood, MI (6 days)
- July Camp – July 21st – 30th – Summit Country, Colorado (10 days)
- October MEA Camp – October 20th – 24th – Lake Owen Resort, Cable WI (5 days)
- Thanksgiving On Snow Camp – November 20th – 28th
**note for Summit Country, CO Camp: Athletes need to be signed up for one additional LNR Training Camp and LNR Comp Team or College Team in order to participate**
Why Year-Round Training?
Why would you want to sign up for year round training with Loppet Nordic Racing? Well, it all comes back to goals- if your goals are to compete at the highest level in cross country skiing, then this is how you do it. A year round training plan that is not segmented by track and xc running seasons. Strength becomes a big focus in the spring and early summer. High Volume becomes a big focus in the summer, with some big hours during summer camps. In the fall, training gets more intense and more specific with additional rollerskiing intensity.
Are there other ways to be successful in xc skiing?
Yes, but year round training is the most effective, especially starting at age 16, a time when an athlete can handle a higher volume of training.
Can I train with the Competition Team – but not on a year-round basis?
Yes, you can. We don’t see this as ideal, but you can do it.
World Class Tradition
Every Olympian was an awkward junior high school athlete at some point. Inspired coaching, a motivational atmosphere, and a strong peer group can transform a young rookie into a highly competitive athlete. Here’s a partial list of our Loppet Nordic Racing alumnae that have gone on to the Olympics and World Champs in XC Skiing and Biathlon:
- Caitlin Gregg – 2015 World Championship Bronze Medalist, 2014 World Cup Team, 2010 Olympic team, 2007, 2009 XC World Champs Team, 2008 Biathlon World Championship Team, 6 Time National Champion
- Brian Gregg – 2017, 2016, 2015 World Cup Team, 2014 Olympic Team
- Ben Saxton – 2015 U23 World Championship Team, 2014 World Junior XC Team
- Kyle Batrud – 2017, 2015 World Championship Team, 2017 National Champion, 2013 World Junior XC Team
- Jakob and Siena Ellingson – 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 World Junior Biathlon Team
- Carolyn Bramante – 2006 Olympian, 2008 and 2009 Biathlon World Championship Team, 2002 World Junior Silver Medalist
- Brian Olsen – 2006 Olympian
- Dan Campbell – 2002 Olympian
- Andrea Nahrgang – 2002 Olympian
- Jacob Beste – 2004 World Cup Team
- Andy Erickson – 1998 Olympian
Junior National Champions
- Vivian Hett – Junior National Champion 2015
- Amanda Kautzer – Junior National Champion 2014
- Sharmila Ahmed – Junior National Champion 2013
- Ben Saxton – Junior National Champion 2012
- Karl Nygren – U23 World Championship Team
U18 Scandanavian Cup Team
- Kelly Koch – 2018
- Luci Anderson – 2017
- Zak Ketterson, Abby Drach, Nicole Schneider – 2015
- Vivan Hett – 2013
- Sharmila Ahmed – 2011
Minnesota State Champions:
- Roger Anderson – 2021
- Xavier Mansfield – 2017
- Margie Freed – 2016
- Sarah Bezdicek – 2015
- Zak Ketterson – 2014, 2016
- Jakob Ellingson – 2013
- Ben Saxton – 2011, 2012
- Sharmila Ahmed – 2011
- Erik Fagerstrom – 2009
- Katie Bono – 2005, 2006
- Claire Luby – 2006
- Joe Sem – 2004
- Bill Snellman – 1999