The Hennepin Healthcare Field Day on Saturday is a fun-filled day at the Trailhead in Theo Wirth Park of both competitive and non-competitive events for all ages and abilities. The day will start with an untimed 1 mile and 0.5 mile trail run, before concluding with a variety of fun “trail and field” games and challenges.
- Field Day 1 mile
- Field Day 0.5 mile
- 2023 Field Day Adventure Challenge Info Sheet
Our most popular trail running event of the season, the Utepils Trail Loppet on Sunday is a day of rugged, urban trail running in Minneapolis’s largest regional park. The Half Marathon, Half-Half (6-8 miles) and 5K races in Theodore Wirth Park are the ultimate urban trail running experience, and all participants will be greeted after the race with music and a free Utepils beer (with a valid ID). It will be a new course starting at the Trailhead and finishing at Utepils Brewing!
- 5K (NEW this year: now on Sunday)
- Half Marathon
- Half-Half (6-8 miles)
- Registration opens January 1, 2024!
- For your reference: 2023 PARTICIPANT GUIDE
|Field Day (5K)
|Field Day (5K YOUTH)
|Youth Events (1M or Half Mile) and Adventure Challenges
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation
of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for
any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Proceeds from the Loppet Field Day & Utepils Trail Loppet benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
DISTANCE CHANGES: The deadline to make race distance changes is 4:00pm on the Friday a week before the race. After that, a registrant wishing to change to a shorter distance will need to register and pay the full fee for the new race distance. If you are dropping from the Half-Marathon to the Half-Half, please indicate your new pace preference in your email to email@example.com.
4:00pm-7:00pm Packet Pickup (location TBA)
7:30am-11:30am Packet Pickup (location TBA)
7:00am-9:15am Packet Pickup (Location: Trailhead)
Note: Subject to change. Please watch for updates, but see below for the 2023 schedule!
4:00pm-7:00pm Packet Pickup (at the Trailhead, tootsie roll for everyone who picks up at this time!)
7:30am-11:30am Packet Pickup (at the Trailhead)
9:00am-12:00pm Field Day Activities (come when you want!)
9:00am First 1-Mile/Half Mile Runs
10:00am Second 1-Mile/Half Mile Runs
11:00am Third 1-Mile/HalfMile Runs
7:00am-9:15am Packet Pickup (Location: Trailhead). NOTE: We are giving shirts out at Packet Pickup. If you don’t have someone to take your stuff for you to the finish (including the shirt), see Bag Drop information below).
5K location: Wirth Park and start time TBA
8:30am Half Marathon Start (Location: Trailhead)
9:30am Half Half Start (Location: Trailhead)
9:30am-1:00pm Utepils Beer Garden (and the party can continue inside the Utepils Taproom and back yard!)
Field Day Activities
***Planning on log rolling?! Be sure to bring a towel!
See some of the best trails in every corner of Theo Wirth Park! Compared to the CityTrail Loppet, the Utepils Trail Loppet half marathon course features more hilly terrain in Butler/Bog and in N Wirth. Same for the Half Half with some significant climbing in N Wirth. Expect exciting course changes as the Half-Half and Half Marathon now finish at Utepils Brewing.
- What kind of trails: The courses follow a mix of trails including paved, ski and singletrack. Please wear appropriate footwear.
- Dogs: While we love dogs we ask that you please keep them home this weekend.
- Strollers: As this is a trail run with a mix of terrain and trail, strollers are not a great fit for these courses but are more than welcome for hanging out at Field Day.
- Sag: A sag vehicle will be available if you are unable to finish. Please notify the closest course marshal or aid station volunteers to help you arrange a pick up.
2023 Course Maps (for your reference)
- All courses are marked with arrows and blue tape with occasional wrong way signs and flour/chalk on the ground.
- Youth Mile: Green arrows
- Youth Half Mile: Red arrows
- 5K/HH/HM: Blue arrows
- For the Half Half and Half Marathon we will have “miles to go” at the aid stations and the 1 mile to go spots. The 5K will have the 1 mile and 2 mile marked.
Aid stations will have water and energy to keep runners hydrated on the course. Plus more at the finish, of course!
- Locations TBA
There are no cutoff times for the Half Half. Or for the 5K and youth runs.
Half Marathon Cutoff: Bog Parking Lot Aid Station #4 (approx 7.7mi), 11:00am (18-19 min/mile pace)
If you miss the cutoff, a sag vehicle will be available to bring you to the finish or back to your vehicle. Please consider registering for or switching to a shorter race if you have any concern about making it in time. We set these times to be sure our volunteers aren’t out all day long and have an end time.
Mtec Results App
Download the Mtec Results app from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store to track participants, view post race results, and stay up to date on event information. Once downloaded, open the app and search for Utepils Trail Loppet or find Utepils Trail Loppet under the lists of upcoming/recent events. When viewing a participant, you can opt into realtime tracking notifications by tapping the heart in the top bar. *Please note this is only for the Half Marathon and Half Half.
Logistics & Transportation
Getting to Wirth, Parking, Dropoffs and Bags
Bike (the best!): We encourage participants and spectators to bike, walk, or jog on race morning. There will be extra bike racks at the Trailhead (parking lot) where you can lock your bike.
Take the bus(!): The Number 7 route comes to Wirth Park! Check www.metrotransit.org for info and route planning.
Dropoffs: Pull-through drop-offs may be done in the north Trailhead parking lot, though the full turnaround itself will be closed.
- For Saturday: Lots of parking at Mortenson Parking Lot! We expect the Trailhead lot to fill quickly. It is a short walk or jog from the Mortenson parking lot to the start area. Please do not park in any reserved spaces at Mortenson. The quickest route from the Mortenson parking lot to the Trailhead is north through the Humane Society parking lot/driveway through the woods to the Luce Line paved trail (then turn right to get to the Trailhead).
- For Sunday: If you are parking, we recommend parking at Mortenson Parking Lot where there are plenty of spaces. It is an easy walk or warmup jog to the Trailhead. There will be some limited parking space at the Trailhead. We will have shuttle buses running from the finish back to both the Trailhead and Mortenson.
Sunday Shuttle: On Sunday, we will have shuttle buses running from Utepils (finish) back to the Trailhead and Mortenson. We have you covered whether you bike, take a Metro bus or park at the Trailhead or Mortenson.
- Shuttles will be running from the finish (Utepils) to the Trailhead AND Mortenson from 10am-1pm on Sunday.
- Shuttles will be picking up east of Thomas Ave N and Glenwood Ave
Bag Drop and Race Shirts: For the Half Half and Half Marathon on Sunday, we will have bag drop available at the start (look for the vans near the start with open doors). Bring a personal bag (backpack, duffel) with your race number clearly marked on it (we will have markers available if needed). We will bring it to the finish for you! Tip: If you wait until race day to check in, you may want to bring a bag even if you won’t have extra warmup clothes or other items because we are handing out race shirts at packet pickup.
Swag & Awards
Awards will be given to the top three overall men, women, and non-binary in the Half Marathon, Half-Half and 5K. If you expect you are a winner, please stick around the finish. We’ll do these award announcements as soon as the top finishers are in.
Results will be listed for age groups as follows 19 and under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, etc.
All volunteers will receive race swag and one free beverage or beer (with valid ID). Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Results & Photos
2023 Results & Photos
- Half Marathon Results
- Half-Half (7-mile) Results
- Trail Loppet Field Day 5K Results
- Hennepin Healthcare Field Day & Utepils Trail Loppet Photos
- Search by name or bib number!
- Hennepin Healthcare Field Day & 5K Photos – Thom Cunningham
2022 Results & Photos
- Surly Brewing Co. Half Marathon
- Surly Brewing Co. Half-Half (7-mile)
- Trail Loppet Field Day 5K
- Hennepin Healthcare Field Day 5K and Surly Brewing Co. Trail Loppet Photos
2021 Results & Photos