The Surly Brewing Co. Trail Loppet is a rugged, urban trail run in Minneapolis’s largest regional park. The race starts and ends at The Trailhead in Theodore Wirth Park, where all participants will be greeted after the race with live music and a free Surly Brewing Co. beer (with a valid ID).
There are three race options:
- Half Marathon
The Surly Brewing Co. Trail Loppet is the final Hoigaard’s Challenge event of the year, following the City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival marathon events, the Sitka Salmon Shares CityTrail Loppet, and the Tri-Loppet & Du-Loppet. Check out current Hoigaard’s Challenge standings here.
Event updates and announcements will be posted here.
The Half Marathon and 7-Mile races are broken up into self-selected waves, with each wave starting five minutes apart. The waves are released fastest to slowest. Please note that waves often fill quickly, so if you wish to be in a particular race wave, please register early.
Half Marathon Wave Starts:
- Surly Furious Wave: Generally finish in 2 hours or under; or generally finish a road half-marathon in about 1:40 or under.
- Surly Abrasive Wave: Generally finish between 2 hours and 2 hours and 16 minutes, or generally finish a road half-marathon between 1:40 and 1:51.
- Surly Xtra Wave: Generally finish between 2 hours 16 minutes and 2 hours 35 minutes, or generally finish a road half-marathon between 1:51 and 2:20.
- Surly Hell Wave: Generally finish in over 2 hours 35 minutes, or generally finish a road half-marathon in over 2:20.
7 Mile Wave Starts:
- Surly Axe Man Wave: Generally finish in under 1 hour 8 minutes.
- Surly Rocket Surgery Wave: Generally finish in over 1 hour 8 minutes.
Registration Coming Soon
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation
of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for
any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Proceeds from the Surly Brewing Co. Trail Loppet benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
DISTANCE CHANGES: The deadline to make race distance changes is 4:00pm on the Friday a week before the race. After that, a registrant wishing to change to a shorter distance will need to register and pay the full fee for the new race distance. If you are dropping from the Half-Marathon to the 7 Mile, please indicate your new wave preference in your email to email@example.com.
Packet pick-up schedule and locations will be posted 4 weeks prior to the event. Please check back at that time for details.
Race Day Schedule
- 9:00 am – Half Marathon Furious Wave starts
- 9:05 am – Half Marathon Abrasive Wave starts
- 9:10 am – Half Marathon Bender Wave starts
- 9:15 am – Half Marathon Hell Wave starts
- 10:00 am – Start of the 7 mile – Smoke wave
- 10:05 am – Start of 7 mile – Cynic Wave
- 10:15 am – Start of the 5K
The 2021 course map will be available soon. For reference, you can view the past year’s map here: 2019 interactive Google Map.
All races start and finish in the Lower Stadium next to The Trailhead. The course follows a mix of paved and non-paved trails, so wear appropriate footwear. Compared to the Sitka Salmon Shares CityTrail Loppet, the Surly Brewing Co. Trail Loppet features more difficult terrain.
The course is well-marked with a combination of blue ribbons, blue arrows, and flour. However, know that there are many intersections and runners are responsible for staying on course.
Aid stations will have water to keep runners hydrated on the course at the following locations:
- Aid Station 1 and 3: 55 Bridge (Half Marathon and 7 Mile)
- Aid Station 2: Bog Parking lot (Half Marathon)
- Aid Station 4: Pine Hill (near the Chalet) (Half Marathon and 7 Mile)
Racers may choose to finish, but course marshals and volunteers will be released from their positions at 1:00pm.
Logistics & Transportation
We encourage participants and spectators to bike, bus, walk, or jog on race morning. There will be a bike corral located at Start/Finish Area.
For those who must drive, we encourage carpooling. All participants and spectators should park in the nearby Mortenson parking lot. It is a short walk or jog from there to the start area.
Everyone will receive a bag tag at packet pick-up that can be used to mark their own personal gear bag on race day. Participants must have race bib to retrieve their bag from the bag drop after the event.
Awards will be given to the top three male and female finishers in the Half Marathon, the 5K, and the 7-Mile.
Age Class Awards
Age-class medals are awarded to the top three male and female runners in the following age classes for each event:
- 19 and under
Door prizes will be given at the end of the awards ceremony.
Surly-est Runner Contest
Did you get bumped around or really roughed up on the trail? Let us be the judge. Go to the Surly tent to get your name on the contest list before start of the awards ceremony. The one we deem most scratched, scraped, and bruised will be crowned the Surly-est Runner, rewarded with a swag bag! You must be present to win. Anything goes! We take scrapes, blood, sprains, lacerations and breaks (though, really, we hope it doesn’t come to this). The worse off you are, the better your chances of winning. Cheating is unacceptable.
Social Media Awards
Share your event photos to Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter to be eligible to win some great prizes. The categories are listed below:
- Best photo with a Surly in hand: A cold beer after a tough trail run is great, but it is even better when it is a Surly Brewing Co. beer!
- Best photo on course: Theodore With Park is home to some of the most beautiful urban trails. Show the world how gorgeous they are and how much fun you are having mid-run. One winner will be chosen from each course, so be sure to include in your caption which course you took a picture of.
*Must use #TrailLoppet AND #SurlyBrewingCo to win. Please make sure your account is public, or tag the Loppet Foundation in your photo so we can see your masterpieces!
All volunteers will receive race swag and one free beverage or beer (with valid ID). Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for volunteer opportunities.