Part of the City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival
Saturday, February 5: 12:00pm
The Trailhead, 1221 Theodore Wirth Parkway
If you want an adventure that mixes the great outdoors with a bit of a scavenger hunt, give this unique event a go. Hosted by the Minnesota Orienteering Club, the Ski-Orienteering Loppet is a timed event in which participants navigate on skis using map and compass to find checkpoints located throughout Theodore Wirth Park.
Orienteering is an activity that everyone in the family can enjoy, regardless of age or experience. All are welcome from experienced and competitive orienteers who fly through the woods to beginners and non-competitive orienteers who want to follow the trails and enjoy the park at a more leisurely pace.
The Ski-Orienteering Loppet usually has two different courses available to fit your experience and fitness: Medium/Long (7-9k) and Short (4-5k).
Participants will receive information on start location/details directly from MNOC.
For more information on the Minnesota Orienteering Club and to see a complete list of events for the season, visit the MNOC website.
Registration & Packet Pickup
There is no on-site or race-day registration for the Ski-Orienteering Loppet.
|Status||Starting Opening Day||Starting 12/7/21||Starting 1/11/22||Starting 2/1/22||Starting 2/3/22||Registration Deadline|
|MNOC Ski-Orienteering Loppet||Open||$20||$22||$26||$30||$35||N/A|
Proceeds from the Ski-Orienteering Loppet benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
2022 City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival packet pickup will be available at the following times and locations:
- Thursday, February 3: The Trailhead, 4pm-8pm
- Friday, February 4: The Trailhead, 4pm-8pm
- Saturday, February 5: The Trailhead, 7am-3pm (note that this is best for day of at Trailhead races. Parking will be limited.)
Parking & Transportation
We encourage participants to bike, bus, ski, or walk to the City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival events. For those who choose to drive, please read the sections below for information on parking and drop off / pickup.
Friday Packet Pickup
Parking at Theodore Wirth Park
- Trailhead Small North Lot: Closed (venue), Dropoffs/Pickups allowed (no parking)
- Trailhead Large South Lot: Open but may be limited.
- Chalet Lot: Open but may be limited.
- Overflow Lot: Closed
- Mortenson Construction Lot: Participant parking available after 5:00pm (walking distance to Theodore Wirth Trailhead)
Saturday Drop off / Pick up
- Chalet Lot Drop Off Zone: Available for participant drop off/pick up on Saturday and Sunday
- No drop off/pick up anywhere but the Chalet Lot Drop Off Zone. Dropoff/Pickup is not available at the Trailhead.
Saturday: Races & Events at Wirth
- Glenwood Ave from Xerxes to Theodore Wirth Pkwy closed 8:00am, Saturday until 2:00pm, Sunday
- Theodore Wirth Pkwy from N Wayzata Blvd to Glenwood closed 8:00am, Saturday until 2:00pm, Sunday
- Theodore Wirth Pkwy from Hwy 55 to Plymouth Ave closed 8:00am-2:30pm, Saturday and 8:00am-12:00pm, Sunday
Parking at Theodore Wirth Park
- Mortenson Lot: Participant parking available. Mortenson is walking distance to the festival.
- Participant parking available on street in nearby neighborhoods.
- There is very limited parking available at any Theodore Wirth Park Parking Lots. It is by Race Permit only (volunteers, staff, certain participant groups with extra considerations). Roads will be closed and monitored for permits.
Drop off / pick up in Theodore Wirth Park
- Dropoffs and pickups will be allowed at the Chalet (1301 Theodore Wirth Pkwy). Please note that access to the Trailhead will be closed at Hwy 55. You will need to approach the Chalet via Plymouth Ave from the east or Golden Valley Rd from the north.
Race Day Information
Commemorative medals for all finishers.
Hand-crafted awards for the first three male and female finishers.
Award medals for the first three overall finishers.
Awards for this event will take place at the finish area podium as soon as results are posted- see the Ski-O event table in the start/finish area for details.