Part of the City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival
Saturday, February 3, 2023: 1:40pm (Tentative timing)
The Trailhead, 1221 Theodore Wirth Parkway
Those who use sit-skis, regardless of age or experience, are encouraged to register for this short-distance event for seated Para skiers.
The Start and Finish
Start and Finish Location: All races finish at The Trailhead, Theodore Wirth Park, 1221 Theodore Wirth Pkwy, Minneapolis MN 55422
Parking and Transportation: Please see notes below.
- For your reference from 2023: PARTICIPANT GUIDE
- We are using RunnerTag for photos! You can look up your race number to see if we caught any pictures of you. We can’t make promises but we do try to get everyone!
- Registration opening Sunday, October 1
Registration & Packet Pickup
|Status||Starting 9AM, 10/1/23||Starting 11/19/23||Starting 12/17/23||Starting 1/14/24/small>||Starting 1/31/24/small>||Registration Deadline|
|1.5K Sit-Ski Loppet||Open||$22||$22||$22||$30||$40||12pm noon, 1/31/24|
Proceeds from the Sit-Ski Loppet benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
If you wish to change events (e.g. changing race distance), please follow these instructions: RunSignup Event Transfer Instructions.
Registration and transaction fees are nonrefundable, including in the event of cancellation. Registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person’s name will result in disqualification.
For other questions about registration, please email email@example.com.
Packet Pick Up
Packets (bibs and other goodies) will be available for pickup at the following times and locations:
- Thursday, February 1: The Trailhead, 4pm-8pm
- Pick up your packet on Thursday and get a tootsie roll!
- Friday, February 2: To be determined
- Saturday, February 3: The Trailhead, 7am-3pm
For your reference: 2023 Sat Trailhead Races Google Map. You can select and deselect certain layers including your course and parking/road info.
The courses are marked with colored arrows on sandwich boards located at trail junctions. Course marshals may also be present at critical junctions to guide and cheer you on. Know the color of arrow you should be following for your race (it is also always our goal to match your bib color with your arrow color – this also helps course marshals know which course you are doing).
- 4pm-8pm: The Trailhead
- Pick up your packet on Thursday and get a tootsie roll!
- 4pm-8pm: Packet Pickup location TBD.
- 7:00am – 3:00pm: Packet Pickup, The Trailhead
- 10:00am-3:00pm: Shuttle Bus runs between Mortenson Parking Lot and the Trailhead, leaving the Trailhead every 15 minutes on the quarter hour. Note: Sit Ski participants receive special parking option (see below) but this might be a great option for spectators.
- 1:50pm: Sit Ski Loppet Begins
- 10:00am – 3:00pm: Utepils Beer Garden and Festival Village
- 10:00am – 4:00pm: Heated changing tent
- 10:30am – 4:00pm: The Trailhead Food Station
Parking & Transportation
Special Parking for Sit Ski
- We will do our best to provide the closest parking possible! There are limited handicap parking spots right next to Lower Stadium. If our Sit Skiers or other properly permitted vehicles fill those up, we will make space in the Trailhead-South lot just across the street.
- Watch your email (Thur or Fri) for a parking permit to print and to us to gain access to the Trailhead parking areas. You will need to print out your permit to show to the parking attendants- please have it ready on your dash before you get to the checkpoint. Do not plan to show it on your phone. It is too slow and hard to view for our parking volunteers who often have a line of cars to manage.
- Note that access to the Trailhead will be closed at Hwy 55. You will need to approach both the Chalet and Trailhead via Plymouth Ave from the east or Golden Valley Rd from the north.
- Please be respectful of your parking privileges and do not duplicate or share your parking access permit with others. Your pass is intended for one vehicle only.
- Please note that spectators coming to Theodore Wirth Park should plan to park at the Mortenson Lots (700 Meadow Lane and 4100 Olson Memorial Highway, Golden Valley). NEW: They are welcome to use the Trailhead-Mortenson shuttle bus, 10am-3pm, that leaves the Trailhead every 15 minutes on the quarter hour.
Drop off / pick up in Theodore Wirth Park
- Your Sit Ski Parking Pass will likely make this information unnecessary but we include it in case you have fans that might use this option. Dropoffs and pickups will be allowed at the Chalet (1301 Theodore Wirth Pkwy). Please note that access to the Trailhead will be closed at Hwy 55. You will need to approach the Chalet via Plymouth Ave from the east or Golden Valley Rd from the north.
For your information on getting around race morning (and for your spectator race fans to know). Note the road sections and closure times below.
- Glenwood Ave from Xerxes to Theodore Wirth Pkwy: Saturday (7am-1pm), Sunday (7am-2pm)
- Theodore Wirth Pkwy from N Wayzata Blvd to Glenwood: Saturday (7am-1pm), Sunday (7am-2pm)
- Theodore Wirth Pkwy from Hwy 55 to Plymouth Ave: Saturday (8am-2pm), Sunday (8am-12pm)
Festival Village and Post-Race Party
2024 Festival Village Map coming soon!
Refreshments! All skiers (that are of age) get one free beer (or alternative soda) at the finish at the Trailhead! Please have ID available. Additional beer may be purchased on site by participants or spectators.
Chili! For years, the Loppet has served Captain Ken’s Chili at the finish line. It is our goal to do that again in 2024. Just what a tired skier needs to start the recovery process!
Sponsors! Our sponsors help make everything happen and better! Please visit and thank them for their support. We are sure you will have some fun with them, too!
Changing Tent: Right next to Bag Claim is a heated changing tent to get into dry clothes! We recommend including walking shoes in your bag if you are meeting a pickup at the Chalet or Mortenson.
Race Bibs: In an effort to reduce the waste generated by thousands of bibs, the Loppet will collect all bibs at several post-race locations. We realize that some participants would like to keep their bib for their own personal “wall of fame” and that is OK. But if you are indifferent and know that it would sit on a corner shelf and eventually end up in the trash, please return your bib after the race.
- Bib Drop Locations: Finish line, bag claim and the Trailhead exit.
- And, yes, it also saves the Loppet significant expense which allows us to direct more finances toward our mission-based programs.
- We are hoping to reuse the vast majority of our Festival bibs to allow them to live out a full and active life. Thank you for helping us reduce waste and move toward greener events!
All participants in the 1.5K Sit Ski event will receive a finisher medal. All events are timed, and results will be listed with the participants name and age.
Results & Photos
Race results can be found at mtecresults.com