The Pre-Loppet is the tuneup event for the City of Lakes Loppet Festival. The event includes youth, junior, and adult ski races — as well as fat tire bike races on the same course. The Pre-Loppet is a wave qualifier for the City of Lakes Loppet Festival.
- 17K Freestyle Mass Start (classic track may be groomed if conditions allow)
- 5K Junior Freestyle Mass Start (U16, U18, U20)
- 3K Youth Freestyle Mass Start (U14)
- 2K Youth Freestyle Mass Start (U10/U12)
- 1K Youth Freestyle Mass Start (U8 and Under)
Fat Bike Events
- 17K Fat Bike
- 8K Fat Bike
|Registration Open||Starting Nov 18, 2020||Starting Jan 1, 2020 (Online) &
Day-of Registration (In-Person)
|17K Pre-Loppet Freestyle||$25||$32||$40|
|17K Pre-Loppet Fat Bike||$25||$32||$40|
|8K Pre-Loppet Fat Bike Half-Distance||$25||$32||$40|
|Junior 5K Freestyle (U16, U18, U20)||$12||$15||$18|
|Youth 3K Freestyle (U14)||$12||$15||$18|
|Youth 2K Freestyle (U10/U12)||$12||$15||$18|
|1K Freestyle (U8 and Under)||Free||Free||Free|
Race day registration will be available on Sunday, January 5 both online and in The Trailhead. It is strongly suggested you register online before you arrive and bring your check-in pass (which is emailed to you once you complete your registration) to expedite check-in. If you are planning to register on-site, please ensure you arrive in plenty of time to complete your registration and get your bib before your race start, as there may be a line.
Registration and transaction fees are nonrefundable, including in the event of cancellation. Registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Competing under another person’s name will result in disqualification.
Proceeds from the Pre-Loppet benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Packet pick-up will be available at The Trailhead starting at 7:00am on race morning and be open until the start of the last race.
- 9:00 a.m. – Youth (U8) 1K Freestyle Mass Start
- 9:05 a.m. – Youth (U12/U10) Boys 2K Freestyle Mass Start
- 9:07 a.m. – Youth (U12/U10) Girls 2K Freestyle Mass Start
- 9:15 a.m. – Youth (U14) Boys 3K Freestyle Mass Start
- 9:19 a.m. – Youth (U14) Girls 3K Freestyle Mass Start
- 9:25 a.m. – Junior (U16 – U20) 5K Freestyle Mass Start
- 9:30 a.m. – 17K Skate Ski Mass Start
- 10:30 a.m. – 17K/8K Fat Bike Mass Start
Race distances are approximate. Start times may be changed should weather conditions require it. This webpage is where any updates will be publicized.
As this is an early season race, we will do our best to give you the biggest adventure that the trails allow by maximizing both the snowmaking and natural trail systems.
Bikers are free to warm up on the bike path nearby as needed, but bikes are not allowed on the ski trails except for during the fat bike race.
For up-to-date race plans: Pre-Loppet Race Plan.
- Youth and Juniors ski races: Lower Stadium near The Trailhead.
- Adult Ski and Fat Bike races: Just south across Theodore Wirth Parkway from The Chalet.
Finish Location: All races end at Lower Stadium near The Trailhead.
- Adult Courses: See Race Plan Page
- Youth Race Course Map (these have changed slightly. See the google map link on the Pre-Loppet Race Plan page. The google map also includes the youth 5K.
Hydration will be available at the midpoint of the 17k course.
Logistics & Transportation
We encourage participants and spectators to bike, bus, walk, or jog on race morning.
For those who must drive, we encourage carpooling. All participants and spectators should park in the Theodore Wirth Chalet parking lot or the nearby Mortenson parking lot. It is a short walk, jog, or bike from those lots to the start area.
For the top three male and female finishers in the following races:
- 17K Freestyle Ski
- 17K and 8K Fat Bike
- Junior 5K Freestyle Ski for each of the following age classes: U20, U18, U16
- U14 3K and U12 2K
For the Youth Races:
- U10: podium awards for all racers
- U8: Participation ribbons for all finishers
For volunteer opportunities sign up below:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.