The Pre-Loppet event includes both ski races and fat-tire bike events. Pending good snow conditions with typical Loppet optimism and can-do-ism, the 2022 Pre-Loppet long course ski and fat bike (approx 15K-17K) will utilize the natural snow trails in Theodore Wirth Park between the Trailhead and Glenwood Rd (e.g Bridge, Skyline, Tornado, JD Rivers, Wirth Lake and Jar Hill) and finish on the world class snowmaking trails plus the scenic natural snow Judy trail near the Trailhead.
The Open 5K starts and finishes at the Trailhead using the snowmaking trails. We are exploring options for shorter/youth and ski ski events. Stay tuned.
The Pre-Loppet has always been the key tune-up event for the City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival.
- 15K Freestyle (classic track may be groomed if conditions allow)
- 5K Freestyle (course all on snowmaking with classic track on right)
Fat Bike Events
- 17K Fat Bike
Register: Info Coming Soon
|Registration Open: TBD||Starting TBD||Starting TBD|
|15K Pre-Loppet Freestyle Ski||NA||NA||NA|
|17K Pre-Loppet Fat Bike||NA||NA||NA|
|5K Freestyle Ski||NA||NA||NA|
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Proceeds from the Pre-Loppet benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Schedule and Packet Info
Tentative: Packet Pickup
- Fri, Jan 14, 3pm-6pm, Trailhead
- Sat, Jan 15, 11am-2pm, Trailhead
- Sun, Jan 16, 7am-10am, Trailhead: Note that the packet pickup location may change for the long course ski and fat bike depending on the race start location.
Tentative: Race Day Schedule
More info coming soon. Below are tentative plans for general planning purposes. If specific start time assignments are required, we will post them here before the event.
- 8:30am-9:30am: 5K Ski Start and possible youth and sit ski races
- 9:00am: Long Course Ski Start
- 10:30am: Long Course Fat-Tire Bike Start
Please keep everyone safe: Review the CDC COVID-19 Symptoms. If you are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms on race morning, please stay home and seek testing and professional health care advice.
Our full COVID-19 mitigation plans will be communicated and posted closer to the event date.
Race Day Info
Skier Race Bibs
Skiers: Every year we spend thousands of dollars on bibs and the vast majority become waste or end up in a box in a closet. We are transitioning to using reusable bibs at as many of our events as possible so please plan to remove the bib at the finish and place it in the collection tubs. Thank you for helping us reduce waste and move toward greener events!
Bag Drop: Long Course
Depending on the location of the long course events, we will provide start line bag drop with collection at the Trailhead. Please bring your own bag. More specific information will be available closer to race day.
We will have a basic aid station (water, energy, and perhaps basic pre-packaged items) near the Trailhead for the long course racers. And at the finish for all participants.
We love our spectators and will provide additional guidance depending on COVID-19 recommendations from the CDC, Minnesota Dept of Health and MPRB. We are outdoors and have a lot of space for distancing. Please respect the participants by staying out of the start and finish areas.
Course Maps: 2022 Coming Soon
Below are the 2021 maps for reference. Note that we are expecting to use a different start area in 2022 but we will be utilizing the same trail systems.
- 2021 Pre-Loppet 5K Ski Freestyle Google Map
- 2021 Pre-Loppet 15K Ski Google Map
- 2021 Pre-Loppet 17K Fat Bike Google Map
Bikers are free to warm up on the bike paths nearby as needed, but bikes are not allowed on the ski trails except for during the fat-tire bike event.
Logistics & Transportation
More info coming …
We need help from volunteers to help us manage the course, start/finish areas and more. Watch this space for a link to sign up. If you still have questions, please email email@example.com
Results & Photos
2021 Results & Photos
- 15K Fat Bike In-Person Results
- 15K Fat Bike In-Person Tandem Results
- 15K Fat Bike Virtual Results
- 15K Freestyle In-Person Results
- 15K Freestyle Virtual Results
- 5K Freestyle In-Person Results
- 5K Freestyle Virtual Results
- Photos from SkinnySki
- 15K Freestyle Photos from TMB Images
- 15K Fat Bike Photos from TMB Images
- Photos from Victor Chin, Mel Muller, and Heidi Ledermann