The 2024 Luminary Loppet is a go and will be on land this year! This is a walking only event.
The candlelit Luminary Loppet on Saturday, February 3, is the Twin Cities’ most magical event of the season.
Come out to Lake of the Isles and enjoy the Luminary Loppet and enjoy a candlelit trail. Experience 1,200 luminaries lining the trail with unique ice features and much more – all in the heart of Uptown. The Luminary Loppet is also the Loppet Foundation’s largest fundraiser of the year – supporting our year-round programs as we live out of mission of connecting people to the outdoors through experiences that grow community.
Find refreshments such as hot cocoa and s’mores along the lake as you take in the beauty of the luminaries. Food trucks, Utepils Brewing beer, and music are located at the Luminary Party.
The Luminary Loppet is part of the City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival, which includes cross-country ski, fat bike, snowshoe, and skijor races and tours, youth events, and more. The Luminary Loppet is not a race – enjoy a night out with family and friends!
Registration will open on Sunday, October 1 at 9 a.m.
To avoid congestion, there are six start wave times for the Luminary Loppet:
- 6:00pm – WAVE FULL
- 6:30pm – WAVE FULL
- 7:00pm – WAVE FULL
Loppet Foundation members receive early access to Luminary Loppet pass (Thursday, September 28). Become a member to gain early access! Passes will go on sale to the general public in October. Each start wave is capped, so remember to register early to get your preferred start time before the waves sell out. Participants may start at or after their registered start time (NOT before), and they may stay on the lake as long as they like.
All registered participants will receive an official Luminary Loppet pass, which must be displayed at all times during the event to gain access to the lake and the Luminary Party, and take advantage of the many Luminary Loppet activities.
|First 8,000 participants
|Next 4,000 participants
|Next 4,000 participants
|Luminary Loppet - Adult
|Luminary Loppet - Youth (age 4-16; 3 and under free)
Proceeds from the Luminary Loppet benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program.
All registered participants will receive an official Luminary Loppet pass, which must be displayed at all times during the event to gain access to the Luminary and the Luminary Party, and take advantage of the many Luminary Loppet activities.
To ensure the quickest pickup experience, please have your check-in pass with the QR code included in this email displayed on your phone/device or printed out for our staff to scan. Picking up your pass ahead of time allows you to skip the registration tent lines.
Early Pass Pickup Locations:
Utepils Brewing 225 Thomas Ave N, Minneapolis, MN
- Friday, February 2, 4pm-8pm
- If you have not purchased your Luminary ticket, you can buy them in person at Utepils!
- Picking up your race registration for the Winter Festival? Grab your Luminary pass at Utepils.
- Please note to keep wait time down we are only encouraging you to grab your already purchased tickets at Utepils if you are picking up your Winter Festival race packet.
Lunds in Uptown – 1450 W Lake Street
- Friday, February 2nd 5pm – 8pm
- Saturday, February 3rd 10am – 4pm
- Saturday, February 3rd 2pm – 8:30pm
Evening of Event Pass Pickup Location:
Saturday, February 3rd 6pm – 8:30pm
Here is the important information to know for Saturday’s event:
- We strongly encourage picking up your passes in advance. Have your registration confirmation available either on your phone or on paper. You can find information on where to pick up your pass below. Your QR code is included at the top and bottom of your registration email as well.
- Please do not bring any additional lights (flashlights, headlamps, etc.). Keeping the integrity of the luminaries is important to have the best experience for everyone!
- Please leave your pets at home.
- If you are driving, we encourage parking 4 – 5 blocks away from Lake of the Isles (see additional transportation information below).
- Check in at one of five check-in tents around the lake to minimize waiting.
- This year we are only accepting credit and debit cards for any sales. The same applies to Utepils Brewing beer sales (one beer is included with your registration for participants 21+).
- Reminder: Participants may start at or after their registered start time (NOT before), and they may stay at the Luminary as long as they like! Please respect your start time for the best experience.
- After you have completed your Luminary experience feel free to join us at the Luminary Party until 10 pm just south of the lake (on land). Music, refreshments, and fun activities for participants of all ages. This is where you can get your free Utepils Brewing beer. You can also purchase Loppet merchandise!
- Please be sure to dress warm! Wearing snow boots, a hat and scarf make it much more enjoyable and give you more time to have fun outdoors.
- Port-a-potties will be located by each of the check-in locations.
- If you need assistance during the event please go to one of the check in locations or the information tent at the Luminary Party.
- No dogs are allowed at the Luminary. Please leave your furry friends at home!
Please try to come within 30 minutes of your scheduled time to provide the best Luminary experience for you and everyone else. Please be aware that sections of Lake of the Isles Parkway will be closed for the event. Please be aware that Minneapolis officials may implement Winter Parking Restrictions as needed.
Metro Transit is offering FREE rides to the Luminary Loppet!
It’s my first Luminary! What should I expect?
- Thanks for joining us! The Luminarians have been hard at work to create gorgeous luminaries, there will be beer from Utepils Brewing, fire dancers and great music!
I bought a Luminary pass for a certain time, does that mean I have to come then?
- Participants may start at or after their registered start time (NOT before), and they may stay at the Luminary as long as they like!
I can no longer attend, but found someone to take my ticket. Do I need to do anything?
- We’ll miss you this year! You can forward your confirmation email to the new ticket holder so that they have all of the information for this year’s event and their Luminary pass code.
For accessibility questions and further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer to work alongside great community members and help to make the Luminary Loppet come to life. Opportunities are available prior to and on the event weekend. Please dress appropriately according to the weather, as you will be outside.
If you are interested in a leadership position, please contact our volunteer coordinator at email@example.com.
*Please note that volunteers do not receive passes to the Luminary. If you do purchase a pass – please be sure it does not conflict with your volunteer shift.
Join us for the “coolest” party in town. The Luminary Party kicks off and heats up with an outdoor concert and dancing. The party also features Utepils beer (for attendees ages 21+), photo booths, fire pits, food trucks, Loppet merchandise for sale, and prize giveaways/sweepstakes.
The Luminary Party is free for registered Luminary Loppet participants. For those not registered, passes exclusively to the Luminary Party go on sale for $10 at the door at 7pm.
One can of Utepils beer is included for all registered Luminary Loppet participants who are 21+ years old (with a valid ID). Additional Utepils beer is available for purchase. Party-only guests may also purchase Utepils beer. The Luminary Loppet will be cash free this year – credit cards only for all purchases.
Starting the night off is accomplished singer/songwriter and guitarist Joyann Parker – bringing a blend of pop, country, bluegrass, and Americana originals and covers to the Luminary Party stage. Our leadliner is returning favorite Some S___Cover Band – bringing their exciting and explosive stage performance of rock-n-roll covers you know and love.
Please note: The Luminary Party last call is at 9:45pm, with music and beer service ending at 10pm.