Loppet Strategic Goals
Goal 1: Collect data to support and guide strategic initiatives
Goal 2: Build staff capacity to foster and sustain an inclusive culture
Goal 3: Co-create high quality, accessible, and inclusive programming and events
Goal 4: Align partner, vendor and sponsor relationships with equity and antiracist values
Goal 5: Promote sustainability and honor the intersection between stewardship of the land and environmental justice
Equity Advisory Team
Equity Advisory Team
As the Loppet reviews, updates and creates policies, processes and procedures that align with the organization’s strategic equity goals, the Equity Advisory Team provides oversight and advising to ensure accountability to the equity goals and objectives.
Read the October 2023 Newsletter here.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI) Journey
DEI Purpose Statement
At the Loppet, we are committed to living out our mission of connecting people to the outdoors through experiences that grow community. We understand that we cannot fulfill our mission of connection and community without acknowledging and addressing the many barriers that exist for some members of our community, especially our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ community. As an outdoor organization that is situated on stolen Dakota land in Minneapolis, we recognize the importance of honoring both the land and the community in how we operate. The Loppet Foundation is working to build DEI capacity within the organization, create and sustain equitable practices that reflect DEI goals, and bring antiracism to the forefront of all areas of the organization.
Topic: What is DEI?
- Create community norms / expectations
- Begin to develop shared language
- around “DEI” terms
- Explore the purpose of DEI work at the
- Understand the “map” of our DEI work
Topic: Identity; Cycle of Socialization
- Explore and share facets of our individual identities
- Learn about the Cycle of Socialization and its impact
- Understand how identity & socialization fit into the map of our DEI work
Topic: Gearing Up For Change: Team Building & Education/Consciousness Raising
- Practice teamwork & communication to build a supportive space to challenge the Cycle of Socialization
- Increase consciousness by gaining contextual knowledge about the lack of diversity in the outdoors
- Continue to expand our understanding of why The Loppet is engaging in this DEI work
Topic: Community Engagement Prep
- Increase understanding of the context and history of the community surrounding the Loppet with a focus on North Minneapolis
- Prepare for community engagement and relationship building with the community in which The Loppet Foundation exists
Topic: Community Engagement Reflection & DEI Framework Review
- Reflect on the North Minneapolis community engagement challenge
- Prepare for the Community Celebration with a DEI lens
Topic: White Supremacy Culture Introduction
- Form discussion groups
- Practice thinking critically about whiteness
- Learn about the concept of white supremacy culture
Topic: Confronting Whiteness
- Further explore the myths and reality of whiteness and white supremacy culture
- Reflect on our relationship with whiteness and white supremacy culture
Topic: Work Culture – White Dominance to Inclusivity
- Think critically about how white supremacy culture informs norms and culture at the Loppet
- Challenge and reimagine organizational norms and culture at the Loppet
Topic: Transitioning to an Inclusive Workplace
- Continue to challenge and reimagine organizational norms and culture.
- Gain tools to practice building an inclusive culture
- Explore the stages of Team Development
Topic: Cycle of Socialization: Organizational Messaging
- Practice applying a “DEI lens” to our work
- Consider how we are currently contributing to the cycle of socialization as an organization and the impacts on our community members
Topic: Looking Back & Moving Forward – The Shift to System Change
- Review and reflect on the content and purpose of the first 10 E&T sessions
- Begin the shift to system change
Topic: So…What’s the Plan??
- In our final session, we discussed the Loppet’s current DEI implementation strategy and were introduced to a project planning tool that we will use as we continue to embed our DEI values into the way we operate.
See the DEI Sessions Recap pdf here.