Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At the Loppet, we are committed to live out our mission of creating a shared passion for year-round outdoor adventure for the Minneapolis community. We understand that we cannot fulfill our mission without acknowledging and addressing the many barriers that exist for some members of our community, especially our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ community. As an outdoor organization that is situated on stolen Indigenous land in Minneapolis, we recognize the importance of honoring both the land and the community in how we operate. The Loppet Foundation is working to build DEI capacity within the organization, create and sustain equitable practices that reflect DEI goals, and bring antiracism to the forefront of all areas of the organization.
DEI Vision Statement
Our vision is for all people to have equitable access and connection with the outdoors.
Goal 1: Identify, attract, and retain a diverse board, staff, and community who represent and contribute to the organization’s commitment to equity
Goal 2: Advance policies and practices that foster an inclusive culture within the organization
Goal 3: Promote diversity and inclusion in events, programs, and partnerships, as well as a welcoming environment for park visitors
Goal 4: Ensure accountability to diversity and inclusion efforts within the organization and in service to our community
Goal 5: To be recognized by the community and all stakeholders as an institution committed to playing an intentional role in eliminating racism in the outdoors
Immediate/Current Action Items
- Update mission & vision to reflect DEI values and model inclusive practices
- Identify measurable objectives within each strategic equity goal
- Develop shared DEI language
- Implement comprehensive DEI training for staff
- Document organizational demographic trends (staff, volunteers, program participants, etc.)
- Utilize measurement tools to track antiracist practices and progress
- Document and share resources used to implement DEI work
– Emma (she/her) was born and raised in Minneapolis and Tyjuan (he/him) was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri –
We recently moved to Minneapolis with our 1-year-old daughter, Asa. Our backgrounds are both in youth development work and community engagement, with an emphasis on equity and antiracism. We formed E&T Consulting with the vision of supporting organizations to build capacity in impactful equity and antiracism work, and our mission is liberation. We are partnering with the Loppet for at least the next year. Our work together will include monthly staff DEI sessions, participation in the Equity Committee, and ongoing dialogue and support.