Ski with your dog. Skijoring is a sport that is growing in popularity, and we want you to be able to enjoy it at Theodore Wirth Park too. However, because it is too dangerous for the skijorers and for the general public to have skijoring on trails with hills and blind corners, skijoring is NOT ALLOWED except on designated skijoring trails.
Skijoring is allowed ONLY on the following trails in Theodore Wirth Regional Park.:
- Bridge Trail: 1.1 kilometers
- Tornado Alley Trail: 1.1 kilometer of easy/flat trail connecting to the South Wirth Trails
- Skyline Trail: 2.2 kilometers of easier skiing with a view of downtown Minneapolis
- JD Rivers Loop: 1.75 kilometers of gently rolling terrain near Bassett Creek and Wirth Lake.
- Wirth Lake Loop: 2.2 kilometers of generally flat/beginner trails that circumnavigate Wirth Lake and Jar Hill on the west side of the lake.
Skijoring is not allowed on the All-Access (Snowmaking & Lighted) Trails. Your dog must be attached to you at all times. Like any other pet owner, skijorers are required to clean up after their pets at all times.