News & Stories
2023 Luminary Loppet Rescheduled to February 18
Due to unique and unprecedented circumstances, the Loppet Foundation has made the difficult decision to reschedule the Luminary Loppet, with a new date of Saturday, February 18th 2023. This winter’s heavy snow and warm temperatures have created unsafe and difficult conditions on metro area lakes. The slush under the snow has made it impossible to groom the trails on the lakes, difficult to construct features and unsafe for participants.
Our main concerns are the safety of our participants and the quality of the event. The Luminary Loppet has long been considered one of the most magical evening of winter. It is always our goal to never cancel events if at all possible, but to pivot to make the magic happen. We believe a few extra weeks gives us time for winter to do its thing or for us to prepare an alternative experience.
What does this mean for you? We hope you will still be able to join us on the 18th at your same ticketed time. If you are unfortunately unable to attend, your tickets are transferable to another person(s) for this year’s event, but per the Loppet’s refund policy, tickets are non-refundable.
If you are unable to attend the Luminary on the new date, we have set up a Facebook group for people to buy, sell or transfer tickets to the 2023 Luminary Loppet (rescheduled for February 18). The Loppet Foundation is not responsible for ticket transfers, but is hosting this group for interested parties.
Transfering your tickets is as easy as forwarding your confirmation email to the new ticket holder. Please note that when picking up your pass you will need to give the name listed on the confirmation email.
We thank you for your understanding and your support! The Luminary Loppet is the Loppet Foundation’s largest fundraiser of the year and your support helps further our mission of connecting people to the outdoors through experiences that grow community.
Please note that the City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival races and events scheduled for February 4 and February 5 will still proceed as scheduled with course alterations as needed. We invite you to join us for the festivities taking place as a participant or spectator.
Looking for something fun to do on the evening of the 4th? Our friends at Utepils Brewing have you covered! Their anniversary party is happening and is all ages with music, beer specials and more!
Answers to your questions:
What if the weather is still too warm leading up to the 18th?
- Our main concern is the safety of our participants. We are exploring all options as the winter progresses and will update participants as we are able. Fingers crossed for some colder temperatures ahead!
What if I can’t attend on the new date?
- Per the Loppet Foundation’s refund policy, tickets are non-refundable. Luminary Loppet tickets ARE transferable to other people for this year’s event only. The Loppet Foundation does not handle ticket transfers, all ticket transfers must be handled by the ticket holder by forwarding their purchase confirmation email.
Will there be any other changes to the event? Music? Fun?
- We are still working to give you the most magical winter event of the year that you’ve come to know and love. Stay tuned for updates.
I’m signed up to volunteer for the Luminary. What now?
- Thank you for signing up to volunteer! We will be communicating with all volunteers affected by the changes and hope you can still help on the new volunteer shift dates.
Can I use my ticket in 2024 if I can make it next year?
- You will need to purchase a new ticket for the 2024 Luminary Loppet.
Any suggestions on what to do on the evening of the 4th now?
- After attending the City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival race-day events, head over to the Loppet’s Official Beer Partner, Utepils Brewing, to celebrate their 6th year anniversary! Their Taproom is conveniently located minutes from The Trailhead (snowshoe, ski, or bike!), and you can enjoy the ambience of ice luminaries in their Winter Beer Garden. Utepils will be featuring a free meat raffle and prizes, a photobooth, live music, games and more!