News & Stories
LNR Juniors North Shore July Camp Adventures!
July 20, 2015
Thirty five LNR Junior athletes travelled to Grand Marais for the July LNR training camp this past week. Head LNR coach Piotr Bednarski and assistant coaches Kim Rudd, Jake Brown and Paul Choudoir planned a high volume training camp (about 20 hours in 6 days) that included many adventures along the North Shore.
The LNR camp was held deep in the woods at Bear Creek Cabins (no electricity or running water) just six miles up the hill from Grand Marais. Athletes were expected to help out with meal clean up and a variety of chores at camp. One of the camp rules is no screen time on their phones so they can take time to get to know each other around the evening bonfires and hanging out in their cabins or hammocks.
Each morning the athletes would start the day with a pre breakfast run at 7:30 a.m. followed by stretching. The athletes would eat a healthy breakfast of oatmeal, fruit and eggs (one day they devoured 80 eggs!) before heading out for the main workout. The workouts varied each day and were always seasoned with adventure on new trails and remote roads of the North Shore.
Some of the workout session highlights from the trip include:
- Level 5 power bounding and trail running at Lester Park.
- 2.5 distance classic rollerski and a two hour point to point 10 mile afternoon run on the Superior hiking trail.
- 4 X 15 minute classic intervals all uphill on Arrowhead Trail
- Strength sessions and ultimate frisbee games.
- 3.5 hour point to point trail run on the Superior Hiking trail followed by a river soaking.
- “Echo challenge Workout” – 5-6 hour point to point (around 50 miles) adventure workout that included a two hour rollerski from Temperance River to Caribou Trail followed by a two hour run on the Superior hiking trail all the way to Cascade Falls. The adventure ended with over an hour rollerski to Devil’s Track River.
- Post workout lunches filled with protein and carb filled quinoa salads!
- Soaking and swimming in nearby rivers and Lake Superior!