News & Stories
Minnesota Orienteering Skill Development Clinic – March 23
March 12, 2013
Come out and brush up your navigation skills and get ready for the upcoming season!
Sponsored by: Minnesota Orienteering Club – Three Rivers Park District – REI
- Where: Visitors Center – Hyland Lake Park Reserve, Bloomington, MN
- When: Saturday March 23rd 2013, 12 PM – 3 PM
Preregister with MNOC online, or by phone with Three Rivers Park District at (763) 559-6700. Phone hours are M-F 8am-5pm, Sat. 8:30am-12:30pm, Sun. 12pm-4:30pm. $13 per person. On-the-day registration is $18 per person. On line registration closes on Wednesday March 20th at 11 PM CST.
Schedule of Classes – Inside visitors center
11:30 am – Check in and day of registration
12:00 pm – “Introduction to Orienteering” classroom session in Great Room
12:45 pm – “Introduction to Orienteering” classroom session in Great Room
1:30 pm – “Teaching Orienteering” classroom session in Great Room. Discusses a structured approach for teaching orienteering to youth and adults. References to teaching resources will be available. Please indicate your interest in this session when registering.
Schedule of Events
“Practice what you’ve learned” skill events – Outside Visitors Center
These events take place outside the Great Room, on the northeast side of the visitor center from 12 PM – 2 PM. Look for the pop-up tents! Events and opportunities will include the following:
Beginner Stations – outside the visitors center
- Basics of map and compass.
- White/Yellow course: About 1 km guided walk with an expert.
- Line-O: About 1.5 km.
- Yellow course: About 1.5 km with electronic punching.
- Beginner Score-O.
Intermediate Stations – outside the visitors center
- Learn how to use a protractor compass.
- Learn from an expert guide on an intermediate course.
- Learn how to use pace counting to judge distance.
- Using attack points and handrails to navigate.
Events between 12 PM and 2:30 PM at Jan’s Place, about 300 meters northeast of the visitor center. Stations are self-service and MNOC volunteers are available to help answer questions and give advice. Events include: Intermediate/Advanced/Adventure Racing – at Jan’s Place
- Contours only course (2 km): Improve your contour reading skills.
- Score-O course.
- Other stations TBD.
- UTM plotting, AR navigation techniques, and other skills for adventure racers.
Sprint Course – at Jan’s place
- A 1.5 – 2 km intermediate level sprint course with electronic punching will be available.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Note: all courses and events close at 3:30