News & Stories
North Side Tornado Clean-Up — Volunteers Needed
The City of Lakes Nordic Ski Foundation, Nice Ride Minnesota, and Surly Brewing are organizing clean-up crews for this Thursday, May 26.
- Two shifts: 8:45 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 12:45 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Parking is very limited in the storm damaged area. Please meet at the Wirth Park Chalet and carpool from there. For those who show up late, all volunteers must check-in at Urban Homeworks, 1823 Emerson Avenue North to get a wristband.
- Meet at Wirth Chalet parking lot at 8:30 (for the first shift) or 12:30 (for the second shift). (If you are running late, go directly to Urban Homeworks.)
- Theodore Wirth Park Chalet is located at 1301 Theodore Wirth Parkway. Take 55 to Wirth Parkway. Follow Wirth Parkway north about one mile (second parking lot on left). Or take Golden Valley Road/Duluth Street to Wirth Parkway and head south on Wirth Parkway about half mile.
- Wear boots and gloves and, if available, bring chain saws, safety glasses, hand saws, leaf rakes, shovels, wheel barrows, and a water bottle. If you have a pick-up truck we can use to move tools and haul debris, please bring it.
- Bonus points for those who ride a bicycle. Note that Wirth Park has no bike racks, but there are a number of poles and other improvisable bike locking stations . . .
Gathering at 5:30 p.m. at the Wirth Chalet to say thanks to the volunteers and enjoy some refreshments.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know if you have tools or special skills.