Loppet TRAIL KIDS
Mountain Bike Equipment Guide
- Helmet: one that fits and is not too small or large and well adjusted straps so it fits snuggly.
- Bike gloves: Optional -gloves are helpful to grip handles.
- Sunglasses: Optional – ones with clear or yellow lenses to protect eyes from branches and mud are preferable.
- Close toed shoes: No Crocs, No Sandals
- Backpacks: Optional – Trail Kids coaches cannot carry layers, water, or additional items for all participants, so we advise bringing a bike-friendly backpack to store any items kids will need to carry with them.
- Mountain bike: with gears for shifting and two hand brakes (coaster or back pedal brakes are not allowed due to safety reasons).
- Please take the kickstand off the mountain bike before the first session. They are not allowed on mountain bikes for safety reasons.
- Water bottle or Camelbak: Please no handlebar mounted water bottles
- We recommend a preseason bike check on tires, brakes and gears at your local bike shop. We will have a Loppet bike mechanic at the first night of practice to help fix minor bike problems.
Mountain Bike Sizing Information:
Considerations: A department store or Amazon bike please note that the bike is most likely a single season use. We heavily recommend that you purchase a bike from a bike shop and/or second owner bike that is a mainline bike brand (i.e. Trek, Specialized, Woom, BMC, Cleary, Salsa, Pivot, etc.)
Basic safe operation is the key. Both rim and disc brakes are acceptable if they are in good working order. Also, components in good working that will hold up in the riding that we do.
Trek, Specialized, Woom, BMC, Cleary, Salsa and Diamondback – all have nice youth sized bicycles, some with shocks, or disk brakes and good components that will hold up in the riding that we do. Young riders do not need to have shocks and disk brakes but eventually as they get older this will become more important.
Local Bike Shops:
- Erik’s Bike Shop
- Tonka Cycle
- Valley Bike & Ski
- Gear West
- Now Bikes & Fitness
- One on One
- Maple Grove Cycling
- One Ten Cycles
- Tangletown Bike Shop
- Angry Catfish
- Behind Bars