Registration has not been opened for the Loppet Winter Triathlon as we evaluate whether this event will be conducted in 2021. Good luck to all the triathletes competing at nationals in Anchorage this year!
We strongly encourage the use of fat bikes for the bike leg of the triathlon. Other bikes will be allowed, but please realize that our ski trails can have a greater than 2-foot base. If the weather is warm and even just the top layer becomes soft, narrower tires may be almost impossible to ride. You can rent fat bikes at NOW Sports.
|Starting December 16||Starting Feb 1||Starting February 15|
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Proceeds from the Loppet Winter Triathlon benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Please note that the schedule may be subject to change depending on weather conditions.
- 2:00pm – 5:00pm: Packet pick-up available (see below for more detail)
- 3:00pm – 4:00pm: Course pre-ride led by race director Jeremy Sartain
- 4:00pm – 9:00pm: Course preview allowed. Skiers need to wear race bib and bikers have number plate attached, or purchase a one-day trail pass. Please avoid the finish line area of the 24-hour ski/bike race and give those racers right-of-way on the trail. Note that if you are riding past sunset, the west end trails (Twin/Meadow) are not lighted (you may ride them but lights are recommended).
- 6:00am: Transition Area opens
- 7:00am: Packet pick-up available
- 7:45am: Race Briefing
- 8:00am: Race Start (Individuals and Relays start together-relays are not part of the national championship). Please self-seed faster skiers at the front.
- 11:00am: Awards
Important Things to Remember:
Participants who registered on or before February 23rd will receive a Winter Triathlon shirt in the size they requested. Size exchanges will not be allowed as we do not have extra stock. Participants who registered after February 23rd will receive some cool Loppet swag.
Timing chips will not be available for advance pickup. For best timing performance and inventory control, chips will be handed out no earlier than race day morning. If you previously picked up your bib/t-shirt, please collect your timing chip on race morning. Failure to pick up and wear a timing chip on race day will result in no recorded race time.
Ski bibs and timing chips must be returned by the end of the event. Failure to return these items will result in charges of $20 per bib and $150 per chip, invoiced the week after the race. Bike plates are disposable and do not need to be returned.
- 2:00pm – 5:00pm: Packet pick-up available
- 7:00am – 8:00am: Last-minute packet pick-up and timing chip pick-up
The course will utilize the North ski trails in Theodore Wirth Park including the machine-made loop. Please note that the course and event order may change depending on weather, snow and ground conditions. The order of events will be ski-bike-run. Though most participants choose to skate, a classic track will also be set.
- Ski: Approximately 7K on the snowmaking trails. Ski technique is freestyle (classic tracks will be set on the right side of the skate deck).
- Bike: Two laps on the snowmaking trails, totaling approx 13K. Note that while any bike may be used, fat bikes are the recommended bike for the course. Fat bikes may be rented from The Trailhead.
- Run: 5K on the snowmaking trails.
Skiers are welcome to warm up on the course. We ask that bike and run warmups be done on the asphalt trail that runs for miles along the parkway next to the stadium. We want to keep the ski course fresh and in great shape for the ski.
For reference, you can view the past year’s map here:
Course Preview Information:
- Friday: 6-9pm. At 6:00pm, a course preview ride will be led by race director Jeremy Sartain. Meet at the patio behind the Trailhead ready to go.
- Saturday: 12pm-9pm
Due to a 24-hour ski/bike race being conducted Friday-Saturday, the Winter Tri course will not be marked until race morning. However, nearly the entire course will be conducted on the Wirth snowmaking loop. Please avoid the finish area of the 24-hour race and give those racers space and encouragement if you are on the course.
Note: All racers on the course doing preview MUST have their bib and/or number plate attached or purchase a one-day trail pass.
There will be an aid station (light snacks, water/gatorade) near the transition area and finish line.
The main parking lot at the Theodore Wirth Chalet is the recommended parking option.
1301 Theodore Wirth Pkwy
Golden Valley, MN 55422
Awards will be determined closer to the event.
The Loppet Foundation needs help in all capacities supporting the athletes as they take to the trails! Please e-mail email@example.com for volunteer opportunities.