Due to new COVID-19 guidelines announced by Governor Walz on Wednesday, Nov 18, the 2020 Loppet Turkey Traverse has been cancelled. The course will still be marked Friday – Sunday for you to enjoy on your own time with your household/COVID pod.
Snow may already fallen this year, but we are still thinking about running and hiking on the ski trails at least one more time this fall! The Loppet Turkey Traverse 5K Run/Walk is a brand new event that will feature trails not used in our other running races this spring, summer, and fall.
This event will consist of both a timed race (Sat, Nov 21) and a multi-day, self-timed event (Fri-Sun, Nov 20-22). Participants will have the option of registering for either the self-timed event, in which the course can be completed Friday to Sunday (a signup process for start times will be available), or the timed race on Saturday morning (registrants for the timed races may also run the self-timed option at other available times Fri-Sun).
All are welcome: walkers and runners, young children and those just young at heart, turkey eaters and vegetarians. Whether your motivation is to win the race or just burn off some pre-Thanksgiving calories, join us as we enjoy the late fall sun (or whatever weather Minnesota wants to dish up this time of year).
As always, all proceeds support the Loppet’s mission of creating a shared passion for year-round outdoor adventure in the Minneapolis area, focusing on underserved youth and families. For example, check out our Minne-Loppet Youth Adventure Programs. Thank you for supporting Loppet Foundation events during these challenging times.
- 11/21/20: Please watch your footing on the course. As the day warms, some spots can get slick. Especially with a chance of rain and snow early Sunday morning
- 11/19/20 (9:25am): Please read this Loppet Turkey Traverse Update
- 11/18/20 (7:25pm): We are evaluating Governor Walz’s new restrictions and what they mean for the Turkey Traverse. Stay tuned. We will communicate via email as early as we can.
- 11/13/20: Participant Email
- 11/11/20: The course map is now available, along with a downloadable .gpx file of the course.
- 11/11/20: Please read our 2020 Participant Guide.
Youth & Family Pricing
In addition to normal individual registrations for adults for both races, we are offering two special pricing options: Youth and Family.
- The Youth option is good for either race at the $15 rate for participants age 5 – 14 and $0 for youth age 0 – 4; a correct birthdate indicating an age in the correct range is required to receive the special pricing.
- The Family option is good for 2 – 4 registrations in the Self-Timed Race ONLY. All persons must be immediate family members living in the same household and must all register on the same transaction to receive the special pricing.
|Registration Type||Price through 11/18||Final Price||Notes|
|Youth Age 5-14 Rate||$15||$15||Applies to both races. Youth 0-4 are free.|
|Family Rate (Self-Timed ONLY)||$65||$65||2-4 immediate family members. Must purchase in one transaction.|
Proceeds from the Loppet Turkey Traverse 5K Run/Walk benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Please read through the 2020 Participant Guide for more information.
- Thursday, Nov 19: Drive-Through Packet Pick-up (3:00pm-7:00pm)
- Friday, Nov 20: Course Open (7:30am-8:00pm)
- Saturday, Nov 21: Course Open (7:30am-8:00pm)
- Sunday, Nov 22: Course Open (7:30am-8:00pm)
The start and finish are both near the Theodore Wirth Park Trailhead, meaning if you are driving, you’ll want to park in either the North or South lots at The Trailhead or the Chalet lot at Theodore Wirth Park and walk or jog to the start line from there.
For the timed race on Saturday Nov 21, parking will also be available in the Mortenson Parking Lot, which is a short walk/jog from the start.
The 5K google map of the course is available online, along with a downloadable .gpx file of the course. The wide trails will provide excellent room for social distancing. The course will be marked with blue arrows, blue tape, and wrong way signs from November 20-22.
The self-timed event takes place on an open course, meaning it is available for use by other trail users: hikers, bikers, and runners. We designed the course to permit good social distancing by all, though responsibility will also lie with runners to be courteous to others.
We will have course checkers out every morning before the first runner to check on all the course markings. However, if you happen upon an area where it seems like signs or tape are missing or incorrect, please contact Paul Johnson at email@example.com or 628-245-5105.
Timed Event Format
The timed event will take place on Saturday morning. The timed event is only open to those who registered for the timed race, not those who registered for the self-timed format.
We will use self-projected mile paces to help seed faster runners earlier to minimize passing on the trail. Individuals will be assigned to a specific wave start time and can expect a wave structure with up to 10 runners every 3 minutes.
Please don’t arrive at the start area earlier than 10 minutes before your assigned start time. There is plenty of space to warm up on the bike/walking paths along Theo Wirth Pkwy and other areas of the park. There will be two corrals (one for even times-9:00, 9:06, etc; and one for odd times-9:03, 9:09, etc). When it is your time, you will take a spot by a cone in the appropriate corral. Runners will be required to wear a face mask in the start area and corral, but can remove the mask and carry it with them once they have left the corral, storing it to be used again in the finish area.
Timed Race Start List
We will share a start list with participants during the week of the event that creates a schedule which allows no more than 250 runners on the course at any one time.
Timed Race Start List (will be linked here by Thur, 12pm). Note that the start signup information for the multi-day event is below.
Rather than hosting a single event for all runners, participants who choose the self-timed format can choose their own start time between November 20 – November 22.
Individual Start Times
Individual start times help spread racers out along the course, providing runners with plenty of room to socially distance from other participants.
Run Multiple Times
Runners will be able to sign up for an individual start time during the week of the event. Sign up times are filled on a first-come-first-served basis. Please sign up for just one start at first, and reserve each consecutive start only after you’ve run your previous one. If you plan to run with someone you are quarantining with (family member, roommate, etc.), you will only need to sign up for one time but include both of your names. Please start at the beginning of your official time slot to insure maximum amount of social distancing for everyone. If you plan to compete for the fastest 25K time, and wish to run each 5K consecutively, you may sign up for all 5 times at once. Please enter your first start time for when you plan to begin and then estimate what your individual “start/lap” times will be for numbers 2 – 5. Note that you do not need to run all five of the 5Ks consecutively. You may run them anytime within the scheduled time window over the three days. Please respect social distancing rules if others have start times near yours.
Those who wish to do so may run the course as many times as they like throughout the November 20-22 event period. Your fastest result will be reported as your final result.
There is an award for the top male and female with the fastest 25K (Total 5 fastest combined 5K times). See our awards section below.
Each runner who chooses the self-timed event at registration will be responsible for timing themselves (wear a watch or bring your phone). We are planning to have synced time clocks at the start and finish but please don’t rely on them.
Submitting your results for the Self-Timed Race:
- Go to the Turkey Traverse race page and click “Results” in the menu row.
- On the next page, click the “Submit Virtual Results” button
- On the following page, use one of the search options to find yourself in the Participant list
- Once your name comes up, click the “Log Activities” button
- On the next page, enter the date, distance, and time for your run. If you want to submit multiple runs at one time, you can select “Add Another Activity” below for each additional activity you want to record.
- Once you are done, click the “Submit Activity” button. That’s it!
The 2020 Turkey Traverse 5K Run/Walk is taking place in the shadow of COVID-19. As such, the Loppet Foundation has designed the event from start to finish to create a fun experience that gets our participants outdoors while keeping our whole community safe.
All participants must wear a mask when on site (especially start/finish locations). However, it is not necessary to wear a mask on the course. Due to COVID-19, there will be no aid stations. Please plan to carry your own hydration and fuel, if needed.
Runners are asked to arrive at the start corral no more than 10 minutes before their start time and to depart from the finish area shortly after finishing so everyone can practice good social distancing. Self-timed runners who would like to encounter fewer public users on the trail are encouraged to run at low trail use times.
The event has been developed in alignment with Governor Walz’ Executive Order 20-38 Allowing for Safe Outdoor Recreation, and in accordance with the guidelines developed by the Minnesota Department of Health, the Minneapolis Park Board, and Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board recommendations:
- Do not visit parks or trails if you feel sick. This includes fever, body aches, coughing, nasal congestion, runny nose, and/or sore throat.
- Stay at least six feet apart from other park users not part of your household.
- Wash your hands immediately before and after visiting a park.
- Do not hang out at the park all day. Visit to walk, bike or roll, then return home.
- Do not carpool to the park with people outside of your current living situation or meet them at the park to run together.
- If you have allergies, carry tissues with you (and properly dispose of them after your race) and if you must cough, do so into your elbow not your hand.
Timed Race Awards
Awards will go to the following individuals (only those who register and participate in the timed race are eligible):
- The overall fastest male and female.
- The Middle of the Pack Awards will celebrate the two individuals in the male and female race categories who are lucky enough to finish in the dead center of their respective field.
Self-Timed Event Awards
The male and female with the Fastest 25K times will receive awards. Individuals can run the course as many times as they like, so this award is determined by adding an individual’s 5 fastest self-reported 5K times on the course.
The 5Ks can be run consecutively (but still please use the signup system to get a start time) or on separate days. You can also include the timed race as one of your reported 5Ks, if you signed up for that event in addition to the self-timed event.
Social Media Awards
Participants from both the timed race and the self-timed event are eligible for social media awards. We will repost your photos and videos to the Loppet Foundation’s Instagram and Facebook stories and on our Instagram and Facebook pages for the rest of our community to enjoy.
- Best picture with a course marshal (keep your eyes out for helpful turkeys)
- Best nature picture on course
- Best post caption
- Best costumes
- Best single person costume
- Best duo/group costume
*Must use #LoppetTurkeyTraverse to win. Please make sure your account is public, or tag the Loppet Foundation in your photo so we can see your masterpieces!
Results + Photos
Results and photos will be available here after the event.
To produce and download your finisher’s certificate:
- Log in to your RunSignup account, and click the person outline icon at the top right.
- Click “Profile”
- Click on the “Results” tab
- Find the Turkey Traverse event and click the “View Finisher Certificate” link to the right side of the page
- Right-click on the image to save.