The Loppet Turkey Traverse 5K Run/Walk features some trails not used in our other running races during the spring, summer, and fall. Come out and explore part of the park that only the golfers are enjoying in the summer.
All are welcome: walkers and runners, young children and those just young at heart, turkey eaters and vegetarians. Whether your motivation is to win the race or just burn off some pre-Thanksgiving calories, join us as we enjoy the late fall sun (or whatever weather Minnesota wants to dish up this time of year).
We will once again offer both an in-person timed version and an “open course” (do it on your own) version!
All proceeds support the Loppet’s mission of creating a shared passion for year-round outdoor adventure in the Minneapolis area, focusing on underserved youth and families.
- Course Map linked below! Final distance is 5.4K (we didn’t want to lose any of the good parts).
- 11/18/21: Participant Email Update
COVID Protocol: (in person/timed event):
- Please stay home if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms (CDC reference): fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea.
- The start will be done in waves of 25 participants starting 1 minute apart. Wave assignment instructions will be included in the participant email which will be sent Thur, Nov 18, by 5pm. Or your wave will be determined at packet pickup.
- Masks are required in the start corral but may be removed once you have crossed the start line. Please maintain distancing in the corral (cones will mark where runners may stand). When there are 10 seconds remaining before the start, runners may move up in the corral closer to the start line or may hang back (your choice).
- Please maintain distancing at the finish and finish line food/drinks table.
- Volunteers will pour beverage cups for you to select. Individual snacks will be provided.
- Please note that bathrooms are available inside the Trailhead and masks are required inside the building.
Proceeds from the Loppet Turkey Traverse 5K Run/Walk benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Timed Race: Saturday, November 20, 9:00am
Open Course: Two days to choose from!
- Saturday, November 20, 11am-4pm (after the timed 5K)
- Sunday, November 21, 8am-4pm
Packet Pickup: Trailhead window
- Friday, November 19, 4pm-7pm (timed and open course … tootsie roll if you come at this time!)
- Saturday, November 20, 7am-9am (timed only)
- Saturday, November 20, 11am-4pm (open course)
- Sunday, November 21, 8am-4pm (open course)
The start and finish are both in Lower Stadium next to The Trailhead at Theodore Wirth Park, meaning if you are driving, you’ll want to park in either the North or South lots at The Trailhead, or park at the Chalet lot at Theodore Wirth Park and walk or jog to the start line from there.
Ride Your Bike or Walk/Jog!
We encourage participants and spectators to bike, walk, or jog to the event on race morning. Extend your adventure and be eco-responsible at the same time! Extra bike racks will be available near the finish for the in-person, timed event on Saturday. Please bring your own lock.
Take the Bus!
Check out MetroTransit. No need to worry about parking and doing better being “green” at the same time. Visit metrotransit.org for information on bus service to The Trailhead.
Course map linked below! Note that the distance is approx 5.4K. It is a trail run! We didn’t want to cut out any of the best parts. Please note that we may need to make changes depending on trail conditions on race weekend and where the turkeys are hanging out.
The course will be marked with blue arrows, blue tape, and wrong way signs.
For the Open Course, in particular, please realize that we will do our best to keep the course marked all weekend with multiple checks. Our course markers are truly the best. However, with courses that stay up multiple days, we sometimes have challenges with mischievous “squirrels.” Please let us know if you think the course is missing markers and we’ll get out to check it.
Swag & Awards
Participants must register by October 27th in order to be guaranteed a sweat-wicking long sleeve shirt from Craft Sportswear (pictured below in women’s and men’s sizing). If you register after the 27th, shirts may be available on a first come first serve basis. Please ask race staff at the finish line, or email email@example.com.
We will have a random drawing for three $25 gift cards to Sammy’s Avenue Eatery, a North Minneapolis community-minded and beloved gathering place with locations on West Broadway and on Central Ave in NE Minneapolis.
Winners will be chosen at random from race registrants.
The Top 3 Overall Male and Female finishers will be awarded a Fall Foods themed gift bag.
Final results will be listed by age group for 19 and under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, etc.