Loppet TRAIL KIDS
Boys Summer Mountain Bike Program
The boys summer TRAIL KIDS mountain sessions will include coached instruction from trained Loppet coaching staff in small ability groups for both the beginner to advanced mountain biker. Boys ages 7-13 will enjoy learning new mountain bike skills and will ride on a variety of trails at three of our locations (Wirth Park, Lebanon Hills and Elm Creek Park). The summer program includes the Adventure Mountain Bike Race Series held at Wirth Park. Girls can sign up for the Girls Rock program held at all three locations. Non-binary and trans youth are welcome to join any group in which they feel most comfortable.
What is TRAIL KIDS Mountain Bike Program? Click following video clip and learn more: TRAIL KIDS Mountain Bike News Video
During practice sessions the youth will be coached on a variety of mountain bike skills so they can become safe and confident riders. Skills include:
- Ready/neutral position for descending hills
- Pedaling/shifting efficiently,
- Controlling speed and braking safely
- Cornering confidently
- Handling obstacles and rocky terrain
- Riding with vision
- Racing/pacing skills
- Participants will be tested at the end of the session on different bike skills and will be able to move up in levels as they progress through the summer program.
Session Information and Schedule
All programs meet 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
- Monday/Wednesday Session, ( Wirth location only)
- Dates: July 13 – August 19
- Tuesday/Thursday Session ( Wirth, Lebanon and Elm Creek)
- Dates: July 14 – August 20
- Adventure Mountain Bike Race Series Schedule
Cost: $215 or $245 after June 30
Summer Fees Includes:
- 1.5 hour coaching sessions lead by trained Loppet coaches in the Fundamental bike skills.
- TRAIL KIDS Shirts and water bottles
- Adventure Mountain Bike Series (those attending Elm Creek and Lebanon Hills location can attend bike races or stay at location for practice session).
- Scholarships Available: Fee reductions available for those in financial need. Please inquire by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For TRAIL KIDS registration refund policy click here
Loppet TRAIL KIDS offers three different locations around the Twin Cities:
- Wirth TRAIL KIDS: The Trailhead at Wirth Park
- Elm Creek TRAIL KIDS: Elm Creek Park Mountain Bike Parking Lot
- Lebanon Hills TRAIL KIDS: Lebanon Hills Regional Park
Program Age limit: Ages 7 – 13 girls and boys beginner to advanced abilities welcome (we split into different coaching groups based on ability, gender and fitness). We do not have programs for kids 6 and under so please do not register them until they turn seven years old. If your child has good biking skills and is mature enough we may consider them to start early but you would have to email director at email@example.com before registering for full approval.
Equipment: Bikes must have both front and back brakes on handle bar ( no back pedal brakes are allowed). Tires must have some aggressive tread in order to ride on dirt single track trails. For more on equipment requirements click here: Spring/Summer Mountain Bike Equipment Guide
Registration based on ability: All TRAIL KIDS who attend the program must be able to ride their bikes safely on paved paths. Youth will be evaluated at the preseason mountain bike meeting April 27 at the Trailhead to make sure they are in correct ability group. When registering your child make sure to indicate their ability level as described below:
Beginner: New to mountain biking but can ride their bike safely on paved trails. We recommend all youth who have not gone through our program to start at this level to learn the fundamental skills of mountain biking. Youth who are more advanced riders but are new to TRAIL KIDS can be evaluated at our preseason meeting to move up into higher ability levels.
Intermediate: Participant has been through at least one season of TRAIL KIDS mountain bike program and has passed the beginner level TRAIL KIDS curriculum skills. Youth is able to ride up hills on single track and safely descend down hills off of seat in the ready position with pedals level.
Intermediate/Advanced: Participant has been through at least 2-3 seasons of TRAIL KIDS mountain bike program and has also progressed in speed on cornering, climbing and descending on a variety of intermediate single track trails. Riders in this group have intermediate bike skills along with fitness to ride at a good pace.
Advanced/Race Focused: Participant has been through at least 3 or more seasons of TRAIL KIDS mountain bike program and is able to safely ride all advanced trails at a fast pace along with riding over rock gardens and obstacles using correct bike/body positions. Youth in this age category desire to race and improve their fitness and technical riding skills.
If your son or daughter would like to test drive one of the Trail Kids mountain bike sessions please fill out the below waiver form along with the name of your child, age and emergency contact cell phone and email firstname.lastname@example.org. If program fills before you have test drive then they may not be able to register for session.