Loppet TRAIL KIDS
Summer Mountain Bike Program
The summer TRAIL KIDS mountain sessions will include coached instruction from trained Loppet coaching staff in small ability groups for both the beginner to advanced mountain biker. Youth ages 7-13 will enjoy learning new mountain bike skills and will ride on a variety of trails at three of our locations (Wirth Park, Lebanon Hills and Elm Creek Park). The summer program includes the Adventure Mountain Bike Race Series held at Wirth Park.
Registration Guide by ability, gender and age:
The summer mountain bike program is for girls, boys, non-binary and trans youth. We also have programs specifically for girls if desired in our Girls Rock program held at Wirth Park. We place youth into groups based on ability and age. Before you register please read over our ability descriptions outlined in the following document: 2021 TRAIL KIDS Program Registration Ability Guide
What is TRAIL KIDS Mountain Bike Program? Click following video clip and learn more: TRAIL KIDS Mountain Bike News Video
During practice sessions the youth will be coached on a variety of mountain bike skills so they can become safe and confident riders. Skills include:
- Ready/neutral position for descending hills
- Pedaling/shifting efficiently,
- Controlling speed and braking safely
- Cornering confidently
- Handling obstacles and rocky terrain
- Riding with vision
- Racing/pacing skills
- Participants will be tested at the end of the session on different bike skills and will be able to move up in levels as they progress through the summer program.
Session Information and Schedule
All programs meet 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
- Monday/Wednesday Session, ( Wirth location only)
- Dates: TBD
- Tuesday/Thursday Session ( Wirth, Lebanon and Elm Creek)
- Dates: TBD
- Adventure Mountain Bike Race Series Schedule
Summer Fees Includes:
- 1.5 hour coaching sessions lead by trained Loppet coaches in the Fundamental bike skills.
- TRAIL KIDS Shirts and water bottles
- Adventure Mountain Bike Series (those attending Elm Creek and Lebanon Hills location can attend bike races or stay at location for practice session).
- Scholarships Available: Fee reductions available for those in financial need. Please inquire by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For TRAIL KIDS registration refund policy click here
Loppet TRAIL KIDS offers three different locations around the Twin Cities:
- Wirth TRAIL KIDS: The Trailhead at Wirth Park
- Elm Creek TRAIL KIDS: Elm Creek Park Mountain Bike Parking Lot
- Lebanon Hills TRAIL KIDS: Lebanon Hills Regional Park
Program Age limit: Ages 7 – 13 girls and boys beginner to advanced abilities welcome (we split into different coaching groups based on ability, gender and fitness). We do not have programs for kids 6 and under so please do not register them until they turn seven years old. If your child has good biking skills and is mature enough we may consider them to start early but you would have to email director at email@example.com before registering for full approval.
Equipment: Bikes must have both front and back brakes on handle bar ( no back pedal brakes are allowed). Tires must have some aggressive tread in order to ride on dirt single track trails. For more on equipment requirements click here: Spring/Summer Mountain Bike Equipment Guide