City of Lakes Loppet Festival Announcement
This article was posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Barring some unforeseen weather catastrophe, the 2018 Loppet Festival will go on exactly as planned – with point-to-point events starting in Wirth Park at The Trailhead and finishing in grand fashion at Loppet Village near Bde Maka Ska.
Snow sculpture forms stand at the ready for carving. The Loppet Bridge is up and ready. Snow is plentiful and grooming has begun. This year we even have a Loppet Trail in downtown Minneapolis – complete with a hill created by the American Birkebeiner Bridge. The Finn Sisu Sprints are scheduled for the downtown Loppet Trail as part of Super Bowl Live next Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Super Bowl fans will be treated to Minneapolis as it should be – snowy and cold, with hardy Minnesotans enjoying their winter! Find the full schedule of events here. Highlights include:
- Saturday, January 27 – Loppet Saturday – complete with point-to-point marathon classic racing, the Chuck & Don’s Skijoring Loppet, the Minne-Loppet, and more . . .
- Sunday, January 28 – Speedskating Loppet on Bde Maka Ska
- Monday, January 29 – Super Boil at Wirth Park
- Tuesday, January 30 – Finn Sisu Sprints Classical on the Loppet Trail in downtown Minneapolis
- Wednesday, January 31 – Finn Sisu Sprints Freestyle on the Loppet Trail in downtown Minneapolis
- Saturday, February 3 – Luminary Loppet on Lake of the Isles
Sunday, February 4 – Loppet Sunday – a full day of point-to-point events including the Columbia Skate Loppet, the Penn Cycle Fat Tire Loppet, the Chuck & Don’s Skijoring Loppet Two-Dog National Championships, and the Askov Finlayson Dogsled Loppet