To alleviate congestion and make for a better experience, the Half Marathon, 7 mile and 5K races are broken up into waves, with each wave starting five minutes apart.
The waves are released fastest to slowest.
Runners self-select into their wave of choice during registration – but don’t worry, your choice of wave does not affect your choice of beer.
Half Marathon Wave Starts:
- Furious Wave – If it came down to a drinking contest the Furious runners would probably lose – Furious runners are generally faster and more serious about their performance. They are the little scrawny guys and gals who can’t even finish one beer. Time-wise, Furious runners generally finish the Trail Loppet in 2 hours or under; or generally finish a road half-marathon in about 1:40 or under.
- Abrasive Wave – Abrasive runners are a little more mellow. They are not out to set a course record, but they like having some elbow room on the trails. Abrasive runners generally finish the Trail Loppet between 2 hours and 2 hours and 16 minutes, or generally finish a road half-marathon between 1:40 and 1:51.
- Bender Wave – Bender wave runners are out to forget their troubles for the day. They may need to drown their sorrows after the race. Bender runners generally finish the Trail Loppet between 2 hours 16 minutes and 2 hours 35 minutes, or generally finish a road half-marathon between 1:51 and 2:20.
- Hell Wave – Hell wave runners are just out to finish the race. They want to go at a leisurely pace so that they feel like (a Surly) Hell when they finish. Hell runners generally finish the Trail Loppet in over 2 hours 35 minutes, or generally finish a road half-marathon in over 2:20.
7 Mile Wave Starts:
- Smoke Wave – Runners in this wave are out to “smoke” the course. They are fast and can put one down quickly when the running is done. Smoke wave runners generally finish the Trail Loppet 7 mile in under 1 hour 8 minutes.
- Cynic Wave – Runners in this wave may be a bit skeptical about how fast they can run. They are not sure whether they will finish and are suspicious that there may not be enough beer for them at the finish line. Cynic runners generally finish the 7 mile in 1 hour 8 minutes or over.
5K Wave Starts:
- 5K – 5K runners are the last out of the starting gates but the first to cross the finish line. The good news about that is that they beat everyone to the beer line. With beverage in hand – they can help cheer runners in.