News & Stories
Loppet Foundation COVID-19 Update
October 1, 2020
This page was originally posted in April and will continue to be updated as need be (last updated on the date above).
First off, we hope you are all staying safe and sane in the lingering shadow of COVID-19.
We at the Loppet Foundation are doing our best to pursue our mission at a time when (a) getting people outside and active is more essential to the wellbeing of our community than ever before and (b) it is essential that the Loppet Foundation support Minnesota’s COVID-19 public health response.
To balance these imperatives, the Loppet Foundation’s programs, events, and managed spaces look a little different now than they have the the past. However, during these times of uncertainty, we remain committed to providing inspiring opportunities to promote a healthy active lifestyle and wellness events for all.
While we may not have all of the answers now, we promise to keep you updated here as soon as answers are known.
Trails and the Trailhead
The Trailhead‘s indoor facilities are closed to the public, except seating for Mill Valley Market customers. There are biffs located outside the building. The water-bottle filling station (not the water fountain) attached to the outside of the building is turned on.
Mill Valley Market is open with window service to the patio at The Trailhead and limited indoor seating.
This winter’s annual events, including the popular City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival, and some new events will take place – either as socially distant time-trial event or in some other form, pending the public health environment.
Loppet Foundation programs are continuing to meet again, though some programs have been altered slightly. All programs will proceed in alignment with Minnesota Department of Health guidelines for group programs, events and sports.
For instance, program participants can expect:
- Staff, coaches, and participants to wear masks and stay socially distant from one another.
- Staff and coaches to implement practices aimed to minimize the potential for infectious disease transmission, such as socially distant instruction, hand sanitization prior to handling equipment (e.g. bikes and skis) when necessary, and distanced riding, running, and skiing.
- All programs to take place outside, taking refuge inside only should extreme weather dictate it.
- Until further notice, no group lodging, sharing of food, group travel in vehicles.
- Large activities, such as all camp session gatherings, to be broken into small groups.
- Training group sizes to be shrunk to accommodate programmatic changes.
Prospective participants can learn more on each program’s web page. Registered participants can expect to receive communication from program directors via email as appropriate.
- Adventure Camps. Weeklong day camps focused on fun, exploration, and adventure for kids age 9-13.
- Trail Kids Camps and Programs. One-week camps or multi-week sessions focused on sport skill development for kids age 7-13.
- Loppet Nordic Racing. Teams, camps, trips, and training seasons for youth and adults.
- Loppet Cycle Works. Teams, camps, trips, and training seasons for youth and adults.
- Loppet Run 365. Teams, camps, and training seasons for youth and adults.
We hope to see you, from a socially appropriate distance, on the trails once again.
The Loppet Team