News & Stories
Loppet Foundation COVID-19 Update
July 22, 2020
This page was originally posted in April and has been updated continually and will continue to be as need be. It was most recently updated on the date above.
We hope you and yours are staying safe and sane in the lingering shadow of COVID-19.
We at the Loppet Foundation are doing our best to pursue our mission at a time when (a) getting people outside and active is more essential to the wellbeing of our community than ever before and (b) it is essential that the Loppet Foundation support Minnesota’s COVID-19 public health response.
To balance these imperatives the Loppet Foundation’s programs, events, and managed spaces look different now than they have the the past. This page shares those key differences. It was updated on the date above and will be revised as need be.
Trails and the Trailhead
The Trailhead. The Trailhead’s indoor facilities (including restrooms) are closed to the public. There are biffs located outside the building. The water-bottle filling station attached to the outside of the building has now been turned on.
Mill Valley Market. Mill Valley Market is open with window service to the patio at The Trailhead and limited indoor seating.
Surly Trail Loppet. September’s Surly Trail Loppet will take place, either as socially distant time-trial event or otherwise, pending the public health environment.
Loppet Foundation summer programs are now continuing to meet again, though some programs have been delayed slightly and all programs will proceed in alignment with Minnesota Department of Health guidelines for group programs and sports.
For instance, program participants can expect:
- All programs to take place outside, taking refuge inside only should extreme weather dictate it.
- Large group activities, such as all camp session gatherings, to be reduced to groups of 10 or less
- Staff and coaches to implement practices aimed to minimize the potential for infectious disease transmission, such as socially distant instruction, hand sanitization prior to handling equipment (e.g. bikes) when necessary, and distanced riding and running.
- Group sizes to be shrunk to accommodate programmatic changes- groups limited to 10 or less
- Until further notice, no group lodging, sharing of food, group travel in vehicles
Prospective participants can learn more on each program’s web page. Registered participants can expect to receive communication from program directors via email as appropriate.
- Adventure Camps. Weeklong day camps focused on fun, exploration, and adventure for kids age 9-13.
- Trail Kids Camps and Programs. One-week camps or multi-week sessions focused on sport skill development for kids age 7-13.
- Loppet Nordic Racing. Teams, camps, trips and training seasons for youth and adults.
- Loppet Cycle Works. Teams, camps, trips and training seasons for youth and adults.
- Loppet Run 365. Teams, camps, and training seasons for youth and adults.
We hope to see you, from a socially appropriate distance, on the trails once again.
The Loppet Team