News & Stories
Loppet Foundation COVID-19 Update
June 2, 2020
This page was originally posted in April and has been updated continually and will continue to be as need be. It was most recently updated on the date above.
We hope you and yours are staying safe and sane in the lingering shadow of Covid-19.
We at the Loppet Foundation are doing our best to pursue our mission at a time when (a) getting people outside and active is more essential to the wellbeing of our community than ever before and (b) it is essential that the Loppet Foundation support Minnesota’s Covid-19 public health response.
To balance these imperatives the Loppet Foundation’s programs, events, and managed spaces look different now than they have the the past. This page shares those key differences. It was updated on the date above and will be revised as need be.
Trails and the Trailhead
The Trailhead. The Trailhead’s indoor space is closed. The Trailhead Patio is managed by Mill Valley Market as outdoor dining seating.
Mill Valley Market. Mill Valley Market is open with window service as of June 3.
Tri-Loppet & Du-Loppet. The July 17-20 paddle, bike and run Tri-Loppet will take place as a Covid-19-appropriate, socially-distant, time-trial event with independent stages.
Surly Trail Loppet. September’s Surly Trail Loppet will take place, either as socially distant time-trial event or otherwise, pending the public health environment.
Loppet Foundation summer programs are moving forward, though some programs have been delayed slightly and all programs will proceed in alignment with Minnesota Department of Health guidelines for group programs and sports.
For instance, program participants can expect:
- All programs to take place outside, taking refuge inside only should extreme weather dictate it.
- Large group activities, such as all camp session gatherings, to be reduced to groups of 10 or less
- Staff and coaches to implement practices aimed to minimize the potential for infectious disease transmission, such as socially distant instruction, hand sanitization prior to handling equipment (e.g. bikes) when necessary, and distanced riding and running.
- Group sizes to be shrunk to accommodate programmatic changes- groups limited to 10 or less
- Until further notice, no group lodging, sharing of food, group travel in vehicles
Prospective participants can learn more on each program’s web page. Registered participants can expect to receive communication from program directors via email as appropriate.
- Adventure Camps. Weeklong day camps focused on fun, exploration, and adventure for kids age 9-13.
- Trail Kids Camps and Programs. One-week camps or multi-week sessions focused on sport skill development for kids age 7-13.
- Loppet Nordic Racing. Teams, camps, trips and training seasons for youth and adults.
- Loppet Cycle Works. Teams, camps, trips and training seasons for youth and adults.
- Loppet Run 365. Teams, camps, and training seasons for youth and adults.
We hope to see you, from a socially appropriate distance, on the trails once again.
The Loppet Team
We create a shared passion for year-round outdoor adventure in the Minneapolis area, focusing on underserved youth and families.
The Minneapolis area leads the world in year-round outdoor activities. Ethnically and economically diverse individuals and families come together around a shared passion for the outdoors – a passion that is universal. The Loppet Foundation is at the center of this shared passion in Minneapolis.
Adventure. We believe that living an inspired life requires taking paths with uncertain outcomes. We focus on the journey.
Excellence. We set the highest standards and strive for continuous improvement in everything we do.
Stewardship. We are committed to nurturing the resources – like youth, natural resources, and financial assets – entrusted to our care.
Integrity. We value honesty and high moral standards, but our definition of integrity also includes holding each other accountable for living the outdoor active life that we promote.
Inclusiveness. We believe that an outdoor active life is part of all cultures and we strive to share our passion for outdoor activity across individuals with differing abilities, as well as ethnic and economic lines.