We are excited to host a COVID-appropriate mountain bike time trial series at The Trailhead! Join us for one, two, or all three dates in the series. Open to MTB racers of all abilities, participants will be competing against themselves, the clock, and other bikers. Whether you are looking to finish your first-ever mountain bike event, earn a better time each week on the course, or beat everyone else’s times, this mountain bike time trial series is for you!
Race #2 is being moved to Sunday, September 13 (rain date). Same start time.
Race Dates and Start Lists
Choose to participate in one, two, or all three of the dates below:
- Saturday, August 22, 8:00am-12:30pm Click here for Start List
Saturday, September 12, 8:00am-12:30pmMoved to rain date (Sept 13)
- Sunday, September 13, 8:00am-12:30pm Click here for Start List
- Saturday, October 3, 8:00am-12:30pm. Click here for Start List
In case of rain, we will communicate on Friday or early Saturday morning if adjustments need to be made such as a delay in start time or moving the race to the Sunday after race day. Please note that no refunds or transfers will be allowed for any cancellation, rescheduling or delays.
Start / Finish
The event will start and finish in front of The Trailhead. Participants will start one minute apart from each other to allow for social distancing and minimize passing on the trails. Please wear a mask in the start and finish areas. You do not need to wear the mask while you are racing.
Please bring your own water and fuel. None will be provided at the race though a bottle refill station is available on the outside of the Trailhead. Note: The Trailhead building is closed to the public.
Start lists will be posted here by 5pm on the Friday before the event. NOTE: You must be on-time for your start!
Please plan to arrive in the start area no earlier than 10 minutes prior to your start time. And while we would love to hang out with all of you at the finish, we ask that you leave the finish and Trailhead area when you have completed your race.
The course is the standard race loop on the Area 36 mountain bike trails in Theodore Wirth Park. Your event category determines the number of laps (see below). Note that the course may change slightly for each race.
There will be five event categories:
- Expert (2 laps)
- Comp (2 laps)
- Sport (2 laps)
- Citizen (1 lap)
- Youth (1 lap – 13 and under)
We will use the same course for all categories. The most advanced categories will start early in the day, so it’s important that you realistically categorize yourself so that we minimize passing on the course.
There will be limited parking available at The Trailhead, so it is encouraged that all participants who are able to ride their bikes to the event do so. Please do not park at the Chalet near Plymouth Rd out of respect for our golf partners.
For those who drive, please park at the Mortenson Parking Lot near the corner of 55 and Theo Wirth Pkwy. Access the lot from Meadow Ln N (one block west on 55). Here is a google map of the Mortenson Lot and how to get to the Trailhead. You may also park in the neighborhoods near Wirth Park and bike in.
Participants must pre-register online. No in-person or day-of event registration will be allowed. Registration closes at 11:59pm on the Wednesday prior to race day. There will be a limit of 250 competitors (60 per hour) for each event date. We expect all event dates to fill, so sign up early!
Email Piotr Bednarski at firstname.lastname@example.org with registration questions.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Proceeds from the Wirth MTB Time Trial Series benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Race #1 (Aug 22, 2020)
Race #2 (Sep 12, 2020)
Race # 3 (Oct 3, 2020)
Thank you for joining us for the 2020 MTB Series !
Our central goal of the Wirth Mountain Bike Time Trial Series is to get people outside and active in a way that principally rewards participation and does not encourage behavior that could put our community at risk. While you should prepare well, train hard, and perform at your best, the most important goal is to stay safe and keep others safe while out on the trails.
Please pay extra attention to where others are and be courteous if someone is trying to get by you or you are trying to move past someone else on the trail.
Due to COVID-19, certain precautions will be taken:
- Please respect your fellow participants by wearing a mask when you are on site (start/finish areas) but not in action.
- There will be no indoor facilities available. Biffs and a water bottle fill station are located outside the Trailhead.
- Arrive in the start area no sooner than 10 min prior to your start, and maintain social distance from other participants and volunteers when lining up for start.
- There will be a self-service bike plate number pick up in the start area. You may pick up your bib early but then please leave the start area until your start time.
- All finishers must leave the finish area within one minute of finish. Please do not congregate in front of The Trailhead or on Mill Valley Market’s patio after you finish.
- There will be no awards ceremony.
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board recommendations:
- Do not visit parks or trails if you feel sick. This includes fever, body aches, coughing, nasal congestion, runny nose and sore throat.
- Stay at least six feet apart from other park users not part of your household.
- Wash your hands immediately before and after visiting a park.
- Do not carpool to the park with people outside of your current living situation.
- Do not travel to the park from outside the Twin Cities.
- If you have allergies, carry tissues with you (and properly dispose of them after your race) and if you must cough, do so into your elbow, not your hand.