The TRAIL KIDS Super Ski Race Series is made up of five different unique youth race events at The Trailhead in Theodore Wirth Park. TRAIL KIDS is excited to partner with Gear West Ski Shop for the winter youth race series.
The races include a youth age class skate mass start, mass start classic, skate skicross and age class relay. The race series is open to all kids 7-14 years old. Youth accumulate points by placing in their age brackets for four of the Super Ski Series Races*. The overall series standings will NOT include the age gap relay race. Top three places in each age group (U8, U10, U12, U14, U16) will be awarded after the last race event. The race series is included with the Loppet TRAIL KIDS Winter Program registration fee.
2021 Series Race Dates
- Jan. 10: Pre-Loppet Youth races –
- January 26: Classic Race
- February 2: Age Class Classic mass start race
- Feb. 6 – Loppet Age Gap Relay
- February 16: Skate Race
- March 2: Ski Cross Skate Race
The start/finish will be in upper stadium area by snowboard hill. Youth will do some slalom agility around obstacles and most of the course will be downhill ending at the bottom of tubing hill. This will be the same course used for Midwest Youth Championships event as well. Each youth gets one run of the course timed. Those who do not want to be timed can still ski the course but will not wear a race bib.
- 5:30 – 6:00: Race bib pick up at team tables.
- 6:00 – 6:30: Practice run of the course in coaching groups. After each age group finished their race they can continue to ski on other trails at Wirth until 7:15 and then head inside Trailhead for post race party!
- 6:30 – 6:45: U12 Boys/Girls Start
- 6:45 – 7:00: U10/U8 Boys and Girls Start
- 7:00 – 7:15: U14/U16 Boys/Girls Interval Start
- 7:15 – 7:45: Snacks, awards, door prizes inside Trailhead
Race categories include U8, U10, U12, U14 and U16. Based on the child’s birth date they are placed in one of these categories based on the following classification:
Youth are given points for the place they finish at each race event for their age category.
We are so excited to have you on board to help us make these events the best they can be! Below are the events, descriptions, and sign-up forms for tasks we are looking to fill with volunteer help. The TRAIL KIDS staff will need help with registration, course marshals, start/finish line help and post race snack table. Click on the race/event below that you can volunteer for:
2020 Standings, Results & Photos
- January 9: Age Class Skate Mass Start Race*
- January 31: Skate Sprints
- February 11: Age Class Classic Mass Start Race*
- February 27: Age Gap Classic Relay (Adult/Youth Relays)
- March 5: Ski Cross Skate Race*
2019 Standings, Results & Photos
- Race #1: December 20 – Age Class Skate Mass Start Race
- Race #2: January 10 – Age Class Classic Mass Start Race
- Race #3: February 28 – SkiCross Skate Race
- Race #4: March 7 – Age Group Mass Start Race
- Race #1: December 20 – Age Class Skate Mass Start Race Photos