The TRAIL KIDS Super Ski Race Series is made up of four different unique youth race events at The Trailhead in Theodore Wirth Park. TRAIL KIDS is excited to partner with Gear West Ski Shop for the winter youth race series.
Due to COVID-19 precautions the four race series events will occur at the location and session date that each youth is registered for. There will be two skate races and two classic races that TRAIL KIDS coaching groups will rotate to during their normal evening practice session. We experimented with this format for the fall running race series and it worked out fantastic. Each coaching group will have an assigned mass start time and will ski the designated course at Wirth as everyone else ( accept Hyland participants will race a different course at their location).
The race series will also include the Loppet Middle school teams of Anwatin, North East and Franklin. Youth will receive points by placing in their age brackets for four of the Super Ski Series Races. Top three places in each age group (U8, U10, U12, U14, U16) will be awarded after the last race event. The race series is included with the Loppet TRAIL KIDS Winter Program registration fee.
2021 Series Race Dates
- M/W session race dates: Jan. 20, Feb. 1, Feb. 16, March 9
- T/TH Wirth and Hyland session race dates: Jan. 21, Feb. 2, Feb. 17, March 10
- January 20/21 Classic Race
- February 1/2: Skate Race
- February 16/17: Classic Race
- March 9 /10: Ski Cross Skate Race ( obstacles and mostly downhill race)
Race courses will be held at both Wirth and Hyland this year and will be 1 km in length. The Wirth course will be a mass start from the lower stadium climbing up to coaches corner and back to lower stadium. The Hyland race course will start at Midsummer practice area and will use the star loop and back down to finish in practice area.
We have 8-10 coaching groups for each session so it will take longer to run the race series event compared to past years. We have decided to keep one race length for all age categories to simplify our results and make sure each group has a time slot to race. Teach coaches will bring groups to the race start at their designated time slots. We ask that parents do not stay to spectate the races unless they are helping out as volunteers for the race event.
Race categories include U8, U10, U12, U14 and U16. Based on the child’s birth date they are placed in one of these categories based on the following classification :USSA Age Classification
Parents are expected to help out with at least one race event on their child’s designated session night. The TRAIL KIDS staff will need parent volunteer help with registration, bib hand out and collection, start/finish line help and post race snack table and course clean-up. Click on the race/event below that you can volunteer for: Superski series parent volunteer sign up
2020 Standings, Results & Photos
- January 9: Age Class Skate Mass Start Race*
- January 31: Skate Sprints
- February 11: Age Class Classic Mass Start Race*
- February 27: Age Gap Classic Relay (Adult/Youth Relays)
- March 5: Ski Cross Skate Race*
2019 Standings, Results & Photos
- Race #1: December 20 – Age Class Skate Mass Start Race
- Race #2: January 10 – Age Class Classic Mass Start Race
- Race #3: February 28 – SkiCross Skate Race
- Race #4: March 7 – Age Group Mass Start Race
- Race #1: December 20 – Age Class Skate Mass Start Race Photos