Equipment Guide: Spring/Summer/Fall Mountain Bike Programs
TRAIL KIDS Program Requirements
Each youth participant for any TRAIL KIDS spring or summer programs will need the following:
- Mountain bike with gears and two front brakes (pedal breaks are not safe for mountain biking on trails).
- Water bottle/camelbak
- Bike gloves (not mandatory but is helpful to grip handles).
- Sunglasses (one’s with clear or yellow lense to protect eyes from branches and mud ). Not mandatory.
- TRAIL KIDS bike jersey’s are not required but are an option for parents to purchase if desired. They have back pockets that kids carry items in such as snacks and tools. I have a limited supply of last years mountain bike jersey’s available for $40. I will have them at the upcoming pre-season meeting April 23 for those who want to purchase them. This year we set up a Podiumwear store front for those who want to order TRAIL KIDS bike jersey or bike shorts. Storefront is now open and closes order on May 1. To order online click here and use the password:TRAIL KIDS 2018
- Pre-spring/summer/fall bike check up on tires, brakes and seat height are recommended at local bike shop.
Additional Bike Fitting Tips:
Most of the kids should be looking at bikes with at least >or =24″ bike. There might be a few of the younger kids that would be on 20″ bikes, but I would think that would be an exception.
The big brands, Trek, Specialized, and Diamondback all have nice youth sized bicycles, with shocks, disk brakes and good components that will hold up in the riding that we do.
For this age group, I would stay away from the fat bikes (with tires >3″)
Local Bike Shops:
- Specialized: Hotrock series, a good bike with a range of specs and prices.
- Riprock: Oversize tires help build confidence on rocky rutted trails.
- Trek: Superfly series
- Diamondback: Sync’r or Line series.
Mountain Bike Equipment Resources
- Equipment and Basic 101 Youth Mountain Bike Guide for Parents
- Bike Maintenance Tips
- Bike Fitting Guide