LNR Competition Team
The goal of the LNR Competition Team is prepare athletes ages 16-19 to compete at a national and international level. Training is based on a year round model, starting in the beginning of April. Our training philosophy is base the long term development of the endurance athlete. In general, athletes need to have been racing at the JNQ level, and/or have had notable results/times in high school cross country skiing, or other endurance sports such as running, swimming or cycling.
- Loppet Nordic Racing: Our Mission
- Competition Team Coaching Staff
- World Class Tradition!
- Why Year Round Training?
Year Round Competition Team Includes:
- Training program running from April 10th – March 10th.
- 1 spring, 3 Summer, 1 Fall Camp and Thanksgiving On Snow Training Camps are all included
- Year round training plan, time trials and field testing, lactate profiles
- 2-6 organized training sessions per week unless otherwise noted
Training will combine regular local training sessions with 5 training camps to be held in the summer, fall, and early winter. Camps are an integral part of high level ski training, and they are a lot of fun.
Required equipment: watch (with stopwatch function), heart rate monitor, classic and skate rollerskis, and road bike/bike shoes. Optional equipment: mountain bike.
Summer Training Schedule: (non-camp weeks)
Subject to change based on training hours for the week
- Monday: 7:00 a.m. Hyland Nordic
- Tuesday: 7:00 a.m. Afton, 5:00 p.m. Strength (Hopkins High School)
- Wednesday: 7:00 a.m. Elm Creek
- Thursday: 8:30 a.m. various locations, 5:00 p.m. Strength (Hopkins High School)
- Friday: 7:00 a.m. Hyland Hills Alpine Area
2018- 2019 Race trips are not included in price, but will be coordinated by LNR:
- Early December: Midwest JNQ Qualifiers (coaching/waxing fee covered in price)
- Early January: USSA Senior Nationals Trip, Craftsbury, VT (approx $800 plus airfare) – Invite Only
- Mid-January: Midwest JNQ Qualifiers (coaching/waxing fee covered in price)
- Early March: Junior Nationals, Anchorage Alaska (Midwest Team organized)
Competition Team Handbook: Click to Download the Team Handbook PDF
Annual Cost & Registration:
LNR Competition Team is $4,200. The team fee can be paid in full or paid in installments of $1,050 on May 1, Aug 1, Nov 1, and Feb. 1. You can Pay in Full with Check or Installment Option with Checks. All interested athletes need to inquire with Comp Team Head Coach Chris Harvey, email@example.com, if they are eligible for Comp Team training and training camps. Note, for those eligible for the July Advanced Camp, there is an additional charge of $680.
Note that although fees for the Year-Round Competition Team are substantial, they include six training camps, spring, summer, fall and winter training sessions, as well as training plans, lactate testing, and race support. The Competition Team fees are actually highly subsidized in order to encourage and reward athletes who are making the commitment to train full-time for cross-country skiing.
2018-2019 Competition Team – Full Year
Athletes may choose to enroll by season rather than the YEAR ROUND option: note that all Competition Team sessions registration require prior approval by LNR coaching staff. We need to make sure that each level has an appropriate background for the amount and difficulty of the training. This is especially important for the Training Camp registrations- please do not register for summer training camps without prior approval of LNR coaching staff.
LNR Competition Camps:
- June Camp – June 11-16th, Ironwood MI
- July Destination Camp – July 14-23, Bozeman MT *invite only*
- August Camp – August 12-16th, Grand Marais MN
- October MEA Camp Oct 17-21st, Cable WI – registration coming soon
- Thanksgiving On Snow Camp Nov 16-25th – registration coming soon
Competition Team – Spring Only: $375, April 9th – May 31st. No practices weeks of Comp Team camps.
Competition Team – Spring and Summer: $920, April 9 – Aug 24th. No practices weeks of Comp Team camps.
Competition Team – Summer Only: $680, June 18 – Aug 24th. No practices weeks of Comp Team camps.
Competition Team – Fall Only: $850, Sept 4 – Nov 9th. No practices MEA Week.
Winter Competition Training and JNQ Support: $580, Dec 3 – March 1, 2019
2018-19 Competition Team – Spring Training
2018-19 Competition Team – Spring and Summer Training
2018-19 Competition Team – Summer Training
2018-19 Competition Team – Fall Training
2018-19 Competition Team – Winter Training
2018-19 Competition Team – June Camp
2018-19 Competition Team – July Camp
2018-19 Competition Team – August Camp
Scholarships available on a need based from the Loppet Foundation. Please contact coach Bednarski for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Competition Team – Biathlon Training Options:
LNR works in cooperation with Minnesota Biathlon and the US Biathlon Association to provide biathlon training camps and racing opportunities during the summer,fall, and winter. A complete camp schedule of camps is not yet available, but Biathlon training camps may be substituted for FAST/LNR camps in the LNR Competition Team annual plan, and athletes may do a combination for XC and Biathlon camps. Note that USBA training camps are only open by application to athletes with excellent xc skiing results.