Competition Team – Year Round
Loppet Nordic Racing: Our Mission
Our mission is to promote cross country skiing and biathlon among the youth of the Twin Cities and to help young athletes chase their dreams in these winter sports.
Ultimately, we have two main goals:
- help individual athletes improve their xc skiing, whatever their ability
- achieve excellence in xc skiing and biathlon at an international level
Our staff is made up of athletes and coaches who love to train and compete! We combine knowledge of technique and training methods, with enthusiasm and passion for sport. Our staff is truly WORLD CLASS – with experience in coaching and racing on a national and international level. 2017 Coaching staff for Competition Team will be Piotr Bednarski and Chris Harvey. See a complete list of LNR staff here: LNR Coaches
World Class Tradition!
Every Olympian was an awkward junior high school athlete at some point. Inspired coaching, a motivational atmosphere, and a strong peer group can transform a young rookie into a highly competitive athlete. Loppet Nordic Racing is a new club that was formed from the combination of two clubs, Minnesota Valley and Go! Training. Here’s a partial list of our alumnae that have gone on to the Olympics and World Champs in XC Skiing and Biathlon:
- Caitlin Gregg – 2015 World Championship Bronze Medalist, 2014 World Cup Team, 2010 Olympic team, 2007, 2009 XC World Champs Team, 2008 Biathlon World Championship Team, 6 Time National Champion
- Brian Gregg – 2017, 2016, 2015 World Cup Team, 2014 Olympic Team
- Ben Saxton – 2015 U23 World Championship Team, 2014 World Junior XC Team
- Kyle Batrud – 2017, 2015 World Championship Team, 2017 National Champion, 2013 World Junior XC Team
- Jakob and Siena Ellingson – 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 World Junior Biathlon Team
- Carolyn Bramante – 2006 Olympian, 2008 and 2009 Biathlon World Championship Team, 2002 World Junior Silver Medalist
- Brian Olsen – 2006 Olympian
- Dan Campbell – 2002 Olympian
- Andrea Nahrgang – 2002 Olympian
- Jacob Beste – 2004 World Cup Team
- Andy Erickson – 1998 Olympian
Junior National Champions
- Vivian Hett – Junior National Champion 2015
- Amanda Kautzer – Junior National Champion 2014
- Sharmila Ahmed – Junior National Champion 2013
- Ben Saxton – Junior National Champion 2012
- Karl Nygren – U23 World Championship Team
U18 Scandanavian Cup Team
- Luci Anderson – 2017
- Zak Ketterson, Abby Drach, Nicole Schneider – 2015
- Vivan Hett – 2013
- Sharmila Ahmed – 2011
Minnesota State Champions:
- Xavier Mansfield – 2017
- Margie Freed – 2016
- Sarah Bezdicek – 2015
- Zak Ketterson – 2014, 2016
- Jakob Ellingson – 2013
- Ben Saxton – 2011, 2012
- Sharmila Ahmed – 2011
- Erik Fagerstrom – 2009
- Katie Bono – 2005, 2006
- Claire Luby – 2006
- Joe Sem – 2004
- Bill Snellman – 1999
LNR Competition Team
The goal of the LNR Competition Team is prepare athletes ages 15-19 to compete at a national and international level. Training is based on a year round model, starting in the beginning of April. Our training philosophy is base the long term development of the endurance athlete. In general, athletes need to have been racing at the JNQ level, and/or have had notable results/times in high school cross country skiing, or other endurance sports such as running, swimming or cycling.
Training will combine regular local training sessions with 5 training camps to be held in the summer, fall, and early winter. Camps are an integral part of high level ski training, and they are a lot of fun. Many of our training camps will be held in conjunction with CXC in Hayward, Wisconsin.
LNR Competition Team is $4,100. The team fee can be paid in full or paid in installments of $1,025 on May 1, Aug 1, Nov 1, and Feb. 1. You can Pay in Full with Check or Installment Option with Checks. All interested athletes need to inquire with Piotr Bednarski, firstname.lastname@example.org, if they are eligible for Comp Team training and training camps. Note, for those eligible for the July Advanced Camp, there is an additional charge of $680.
Note that although fees for the Year-Round Competition Team are substantial, they include six training camps, spring, summer, fall and winter training sessions, as well as training plans, lactate testing, and race support. The Competition Team fees are actually highly subsidized in order to encourage and reward athletes who are making the commitment to train full-time for cross-country skiing.
2017-2018 Competition Team – Year Round
Competition Team: Why Year Round Training?
Why would you want to sign up for year round training with Loppet Nordic Racing? Well, it all comes back to goals- if your goals are to compete at the highest level in cross country skiing, then this is how you do it. A year round training plan that is not segmented by track and xc running seasons. Strength becomes a big focus in the spring and early summer. High Volume becomes a big focus in the summer, with some big hours during summer camps. In the fall, training gets more intense and more specific with additional rollerskiing intensity.
Are there other ways to be successful in xc skiing?
Yes, but year round training is the most effective, especially starting at age 16, a time when an athlete can handle a higher volume of training.
Can I train with the Competition Team – but not on a Year Round basis?
Yes, you can. We don’t see this as ideal, but you can do it. Cost of camps and training are not subsidized as they are for Year Round athletes. see summer/fall options below
Competition Team Includes:
- Training program runs April 10th – March 10th.
- 1 spring, 3 Summer Camps, 1 Fall Camp and Yellowstone Training Camp are all included
- Year round training plan, time trials and field testing, lactate profiles
- 2-6 organized training per week unless otherwise noted
- Required equipment: watch (with stop watch function), heart rate monitor, classic and skate rollerskis, road bike/bike shoes. optional: Mountain bike.
Summer Training Schedule: (non- camp weeks)- subject to change based on training hours for the week
- Monday: 7:00 a.m. Hyland Nordic
- Tuesday: 7:00 a.m. Afton, 5:00 p.m. Strength (Hopkins High School)
- Wednesday: 7:00 a.m. Elm Creek
- Thursday: 8:30 a.m. various locations, 5:00 p.m. Strength (Hopkins High School)
- Friday: 7:00 a.m. Hyland Hills Alpine Area
Races trips are not included in price, but will be coordinated by LNR:
- Early December – Midwest JNQ Qualifiers (coaching/waxing fee covered in price)
- Early January – USSA Senior Nationals Trip, Heber, Utah (approx $800 plus airfare) – Invite Only
- Mid-January – Midwest JNQ Qualifiers (coaching/waxing fee covered in price)
- March 4-12, Midway, UT – Junior Nationals (Midwest Team organized)
- Mid-March – Canadian Nationals, Thunder Bay – LNR will take a group of 20-24 athletes
Competition Team Handbook: Click to Download the Team Handbook PDF
2017-2018 Competition Team – Year Round
Athletes may choose to enroll by season rather than the YEAR ROUND option: note that all Competition Team sessions registration require prior approval by LNR coaching staff. We need to make sure that each level has an appropriate background for the amount and difficulty of the training. This is especially important for the Training Camp registrations- please do not register for summer training camps without prior approval of LNR coaching staff.
LNR Competition Camps:
- Add 1 Comp Team camp $690
- Add 2 Comp Team camps $1190
- Add 3 Comp Team camps $1490
Competition Team – Spring Only: $375, April 10 – June 1. No practices weeks of Comp Team camps.
Competition Team – Spring and Summer: $880, April 10 – Aug 25. No practices weeks of Comp Team camps.
Competition Team – Summer Only: $680, June 19 – Aug. 25. No practices weeks of Comp Team camps.
Competition Team – Fall Only: $850, Sept 5 – Nov. 10. No practices MEA Week.
Winter Competition Training and JNQ Support: $490, Dec 3 – March 3, 2017
2017-2018 Competition Team – Seasonal
*****PAYING BY CHECK******
If you want to pay for camps by check, you need to go all the way thru the online registration checkout and when it comes to select payment type, select pay by check from the menu. When you select pay by check, the processing fees will be eliminated from your check out total.
Scholarships available on a need based from the Loppet Foundation. Please contact coach Bednarski for more information at email@example.com.
Competition Team – Biathlon Training Options:
LNR works in cooperation with Minnesota Biathlon and the US Biathlon Association to provide biathlon training camps and racing opportunities during the summer,fall, and winter. A complete camp schedule of camps is not yet available, but Biathlon training camps may be substituted for FAST/LNR camps in the LNR Competition Team annual plan, and athletes may do a combination for XC and Biathlon camps. Note that USBA training camps are only open by application to athletes with excellent xc skiing results.