The Loppet High School Invite
Saturday, January 6, 2018
The Loppet High School Invite is sponsored by two high school Nordic Ski Teams (Robbinsdale Armstrong and Eden Prairie) along with the Loppet Foundation. The Loppet Invite is a sanctioned high high-school level invitational Nordic ski meet held at Theodore Wirth Park.
The Invite is designed for the top ten varsity ski racers from each high school to compete in a limited field of 16 teams from Minnesota. Six Skiers will race in the individual skate or classic 5km races along with four competing in the sprint relay event.
Race Format and Scoring
20 teams with up to 10 boys and 10 girls. Each team will enter the following number of racers for boys and girls teams:
Mass Start Individual Races:
- Each mass start race will have two wave starts ( 30 skiers in each wave) with one minute between each wave.
- 3 racers entered for individual skate 5 km Mass start race.
- 3 racers entered for individual classic 5 km Mass start race.
Sprint Relay Race:
- 4 racers ( two relay teams) entered for sprint skate relay race.
- Each relay team racer does a 1 km loop tagging off to partner and then repeats for a total of 4 km race for relay team.
- There will be two heats for both boys and girls semifinal relay races of up to 20 skiers. Top 5 relay teams from each heat will advance to finals.
The top two skate, top two classic and top relay team will be scored for overall team points. Keep this in mind as you fill in your skiers for the race events. The point values are maximum of 60 points available for each skier. So the 1st place in each of the distance races is 60, then 59, 58, 57, etc. For the relay the max total would be 120 for 1st, 114, for second, 108 for third, 6 points less for each team. Individuals, as well as teams will hold their point place, and bump other individuals or teams down in place.
Race Day Schedule
There will be a quick coaches meeting at 8:00 a.m. in the Par 3 building – you can pick up your race bibs then. Chip timing will be used for all races. We will be using the Loppet race bibs for our event so no need to bring your own race bibs. Gopher timing will be placing chips on each of the race bibs. Following the race we will need skiers to take off the timing chips and untie all their race bibs and place in appropriate numbered bin so we can get them ready for the Pre-Loppet race the following day.
- 8:00am: Coaches Meeting/Bib Pick-up – Par Three Building
- 9:00am: Girls Semifinal Sprint Relay – Heat 1
- 9:20am: Girls Semifinal Sprint Relay – Heat 2
- 9:40am: Boys Semifinal Sprint Relay – Heat 1
- 10:00am: Boys Semifinal Sprint Relay – Heat 2
- 10:30am: Boys 5km Classic Mass Start
- 10:35am: Girls 5km Classic Mass Start
- 11:00am: Boys 5km Skate Mass
- 11:05am: Girls 5km Skate Mass Start
- 11:30am: Girls Sprint Relay Finals
- 11:50am: Boys Sprint Relay Finals
- 12:30pm: Awards at Main Chalet
Cost: $15/skier by December 1 or $20/skier after.
Deadline to Register: December 15 (must receive check and forms). We will also send out google spread sheet for team registration list that you can fill out with any changes.
Download the registration form above and mail with check made out to the Loppet Foundation to the following address:
Attention: Loppet Invite Registration
1301 Theodore Wirth Pkwy
Minneapolis, MN 55422
Race Venue and Course Information: Theodore Wirth Park
Directions: Theodore Wirth Chalet Map
Judy Loop + Hap Loop for both classic and skate individual races. This is the homologated race course, nice and wide and one lap. The Judy loop is the part that drops down to bassett creek and the Hap loop is the 3km man made loop. If there is now natural snow we will hold all races on the man made snow loop doing two laps. The two person sprint relay races will be held on a 1 km. loop on the man made trail.
Any teams pre-skiing (i.e., before Saturday) must purchase and display passes for all skiers and coaches.
Racers displaying their bibs do not need to display a ski pass on Saturday. All other skiers must be displaying a ski pass.
Warming Tent and Wirth Chalet
Winter HQ/Par-3 is not available to teams for any purpose. The Loppet will have a warming tent set up in the Par Three parking lot like we had last year. Coaches and students can use this to stay warm but no waxing is allowed inside. Coaches need to bring their own waxing tents to set up near the lower stadium area and Par Three building. The fireplace room has been reserved for teams to hang out in between races as well as the lower rooms in the main chalet.
Bus Drop Off and Pick Up
Make sure to have your team bus drop you off at the main chalet parking lot and then kids can walk over to the warming tent that will be set up in the Par Three Parking lot. Communicate to all parents and spectators to park in the Main Chalet parking lot.
Buses cannot stay at Wirth and must come back at 1pm (or time of your choice) to pick up kids in main chalet parking lot. Buses may not idle in the Main Parking Lot.
We will have an awards ceremony after the last race by the timing building and stadium. Award categories will include:
- Individual Skate and Classic awards for the top 3 boys and girls.
- Top three sprint relay race teams for boys and girls.
- Overall boys and girls team winner with combined points from relay and individual races.
Race Day Volunteers
Each team needs to donate an assistant coach or experienced parent to help run the sprint, classic and skate individual races. Duties will include skier lineup, starters, course control, timing helpers, and stadium set up. Please have this individual report to the stadium at 8:30 a.m. Please email Bob O’hara (Bobscanoe@comcast.net) the names of coaches that will help and he will assign them certain jobs.
- Relay — need two people to monitor the turnaround at 500 meters on top of coaches hill (will be blocked off ahead of time with V boards).
- Need additional helpers to monitor the relay zone and move skiers out of the way after they tag off.
- Will need spotters to direct skiers in the 5 km race for turn around after they do sprint course and then turn right to continue on man made loop.
- Lineup for classic and skate – need 2-3 workers per lane.
- Line up for sprint races – need 2-3 workers per lane.
- Finish Line: 3-4 people to make sure skiers clear the finish zone. Get skiers up and away if they fall.